755 John Deere, 4wd Front Spindle Play-Movement

/ 755 John Deere, 4wd Front Spindle Play-Movement #11  
I wouldn't jump in there with just "some movement". I'd expect some movement.

But you suit yourself with the bearings. Myself, I'd wait until there was more evidence or get someone else to check it out, or check some other tractors if that would be possible. Maybe visit with a mechanic at the dealer.

/ 755 John Deere, 4wd Front Spindle Play-Movement #12  
When I have the front wheels off of the ground and proceed with the left-right or push-pull test they do have some movement. You can actually see the wheels, not so much when you are driving, shift or drop when you lift the front end off of the ground. I only noticed it because I was checking tire pressures.

I also looked through the SM and did not see a takeup nut or shims. So I am thinking I may have some bearings going out. What do you all think?

When you do a left-right test, so many things can move including tie-rods and the complete axle moving front-back on the pivot pin (Had that too and easily fixed by removing 1 of 2 shims) that it is not a very good test for final drive bearings. I would lift the tractor again and grab the top and the bottom of the wheel and try to pull on one while pushing the other. I think this is the best test you can do and there should be very little play if any in that direction.
Just me :2cents:

/ 755 John Deere, 4wd Front Spindle Play-Movement
I did do what you said "grab the top and the bottom of the wheel and try to pull on one while pushing the other. I think this is the best test you can do and there should be very little play if any in that direction" and there was play. If the play I saw on the tractor was on a car I would replace the wheel bearing. I just did not know if there was supposed to be some movement since there is not a CV joint. I will take it apart and let you know what I find.

/ 755 John Deere, 4wd Front Spindle Play-Movement #14  
Let us know. Remember, it is not a car. :D

/ 755 John Deere, 4wd Front Spindle Play-Movement #15  
I am in the process of rebuilding my axle. Check the top to bottom play as well as the up and down. I always checked the play after I lifted up the front with the loader. I wanted some more room when I was working in the garage, so I dropped the loader outside. When I jacked up the axle, the tire didn't move. When I grabbed the tire at the top I had about 1/2 inch of up and down movement on one side and 1/4 on the other. The previous owner rebuild the side that had 1/4". I have two gears that need to be replaced too. I thought I would have the tractor fixed last weekend, but the extra parts are on order and the tractor is in pieces. Its snowing and I will be shoveling or driving the 6x6 if the driveway gets bad before the tractor is fixed.