755 John Deere, 4wd Front Spindle Play-Movement

/ 755 John Deere, 4wd Front Spindle Play-Movement #1  

ddesens

Tractor
John Deere 755 MFWD
Hello all from Wisconsin.
I have a JD755, 4wd with some front wheel play. I do not have a lot of experience in this department, tractor department that is, but if it was on my car I would suspect that a wheel bearing is out. I looked up assembly diagram of the front spindle assembly and while there is bearings, shims and other related items there is not a nut to tighten. Kind of looks just like snap rings that hold the spindle together. I am suspecting that it needs a little play for the worm gear drive. So I am wondering if this is normal for this tractor and what would be excessive?

Thanks for all the help!

/ 755 John Deere, 4wd Front Spindle Play-Movement #3  
I just replaced the final drive seals on my 855 last year. Same front axle as 755. Basically there are 2 identical bearings on each side for a total of 4 bearings. I would change them ASAP before the gears and seals wear out or break.

/ 755 John Deere, 4wd Front Spindle Play-Movement #4  
dsmau
Where do you think the "play" is coming from? Worn gears, or worn bearings?

Since you experienced the change-out, how is play taken up - - with shims?

/ 755 John Deere, 4wd Front Spindle Play-Movement
Thank you for the replies.

dsmau,
Did you end up replacing just the seals or did you end up replacing all of the bearings, shims, etc..?

/ 755 John Deere, 4wd Front Spindle Play-Movement #6  
Thank you for the replies.

dsmau,
Did you end up replacing just the seals or did you end up replacing all of the bearings, shims, etc..?

My only problem was leaking front spindles so all I did was to change the seals. While I had everything in hand, I checked the bearings and they were in good shape. I have not seen shims and there are no shims in there according to the manual.
Service Managers at the dealer told me that bad bearings can cause seals to fail but that was not my case. 20 year old seals tend to be quite fragile and I had just worked in the mud up to the front axle...
You just need to flush the oil, take off the 6 bolts behind the wheels and pull. Everything falls in your hands and you need a GOOD pair of snap ring pliers to take the final assembly apart. Don't forget to get a new gasket (one per side) and 2 quarts of GL-5 Gear Lubricant to put it back together.

/ 755 John Deere, 4wd Front Spindle Play-Movement #7  
dsmau
Where do you think the "play" is coming from? Worn gears, or worn bearings?

Since you experienced the change-out, how is play taken up - - with shims?

Can you define more where the "play" is?

Is it when you rotate the wheels back and forth in their normal spinning movement OR when you push and pull with one hand on the bottom and one at the top of the wheel?
If it is the later, only the bearings can cause the play as far as I see it.

/ 755 John Deere, 4wd Front Spindle Play-Movement #8  
I just replaced the final drive seals on my 855 last year. Same front axle as 755. Basically there are 2 identical bearings on each side for a total of 4 bearings. I would change them ASAP before the gears and seals wear out or break.

The 2 bearings are not identical although they look similar. I just check JDParts and they are CH14581 and JD9344. You need 2 of each if you are doing both sides.

/ 755 John Deere, 4wd Front Spindle Play-Movement #9  
dsmau
Those posts helped, and I also could see no place for shims.
Also wondering where the "play" is.

/ 755 John Deere, 4wd Front Spindle Play-Movement
When I have the front wheels off of the ground and proceed with the left-right or push-pull test they do have some movement. You can actually see the wheels, not so much when you are driving, shift or drop when you lift the front end off of the ground. I only noticed it because I was checking tire pressures.

I also looked through the SM and did not see a takeup nut or shims. So I am thinking I may have some bearings going out. What do you all think?