Traction Locking differential

/ Locking differential #1  

jayg

Tractor
jacobsen hr-15
Hi- I own a Jacobsen HR-15 Diesel Perkins turf mower and have been having problems getting stuck because of the wet weather and heavy weight of my tractor. The tractor is 2 wheel drive and has 16 in. mud/snow tires. I would like to be able to lock the differential to help get the tractor out of sticky situations. Does anyone have any idea if this is possible?

/ Locking differential #2  
According to a quick search, the HR 15 uses a Dana 60 axle. There are lots of limited slip and/or locker units available for those axles. Before going any further though, you should check and see if yours is already equipped with limited slip. It could be that yours just needs some repair.

Here's a link to a .pdf of a municipal quote/proposal/purchase of an HR 15. Scroll down to the mechanical specs and you'll see that this one is a Dana 60 with limited slip and 7:17 gears. (This is a direct link to a .pdf download, so once you click on it to download, you'll have to open the downloaded file to view it.):

publicdocs.lodi.gov/Docs/COUNCIL_COMM/2011/02-21-1990_03.pdf

If yours doesn't have limited slip, visit some aftermarket parts sites that cater to trucks and off-road enthusiasts. You can find anything from "factory" limited slip units, to switch-on/switch-off units such as ARB's air locker. Something like an air locker would probably be the best choice for your application. You don't want a "full-time" locked axle for obvious reasons, but being able to turn the axle lock on/off with a switch would be handy.
;)