John Deere 2320 pto questions

/ John Deere 2320 pto questions #1  

Neale Osborn

Tractor
John Deere 2320
Just got a PTO Chipper for my JD 2320. Problem is, I can't keep the tractor running with the PTO on unless my rear is in the seat. I'm tired of putting a 100lb sack of feed on the seat to chip all the windfalls this constant train has given us. My last JD had a metal bail you put over the seat sensor to keep it running. This one doesn't have the bail.

/ John Deere 2320 pto questions #2  
free bump for answers.. Funny, I was just looking at my owners manual and read the section on 'pto operation - operator out of the seat' about 3 times and I never figured what they were trying to say.. Imnot sure if it was a misprint OR just a thick head..

brian

/ John Deere 2320 pto questions #3  
:welcome:

And what does the manual say? Neutral tranny? Locked in Park? Off seat before turning on PTO? Or something else?

I'd jump the seat switch before carrying 100# sack of feed to the seat. :D

/ John Deere 2320 pto questions #4  
I don't have any rear PTO attachments but the rear is supposed to drive independent of the seat switch. Only the front is supposed to be tied to the seat switch. Are you sure you don't have the PTO in "both" position instead of rear only?

/ John Deere 2320 pto questions #5  
My seat is well broke in. I use a bungee cord to strap the seat down which overrides the safety switch.

/ John Deere 2320 pto questions #6  
I think on a JD 2320 you must have the PTO selector in rear only (all the way towards the rear) and then set the parking brake, before engaging the PTO.
Then (at least on mine) the PTO will continue to operate even when you leave the seat.

/ John Deere 2320 pto questions #7  
This is the procedure for off-seat PTO operation:

Using Rear PTO (Operator Off Seat)

NOTE: The mid-PTO is only operational with the operator on the seat.

Engaging the PTO

1. Sit on operator's seat.
2. Lock the park brake.
3. Move the transmission range shift lever to the N (neutral) position.
NOTE: The starter will not crank if the PTO switch knob is in the engaged/on position.
If the operator leaves the seat with the engine running and the mid-PTO engaged, the safety interlock system will stop the engine and all implements.
4. Start the engine.
5. Set engine speed to 1500 rpm or less.
6. Move the PTO selector lever (A) to position (B) for rear PTO only.
7. Pull the PTO switch knob up to the engaged/on position.
The instrument panel PTO engaged light (C) will illuminate when the PTO is engaged.
8. Adjust the engine speed hand throttle forward to the desired speed for the implement used.
NOTE: The PTO marker on the tachometer indicates engine speed for a standard 540 PTO.

Suggest you print this out (or have your manual with you) to ensure you're following the procedure step by step.

/ John Deere 2320 pto questions #8  
Roy's procedure is correct, at least for my 2720. Sounds like it's standard thru the 20 range. Anyone with a 2520 care to confirm?

/ John Deere 2320 pto questions #9  
Roy's procedure is correct, at least for my 2720. Sounds like it's standard thru the 20 range. Anyone with a 2520 care to confirm?

Thanks for the compliment, but all I did was copy/paste out of the online manual.

/ John Deere 2320 pto questions
Thanks to all of you. This was the first time I've used the PTO, and I don't have the owners manual. Roy, I'll try your procedure tomorrow (when it's light out) and see if that does it. I think it will.