Getting upset with dealer service

/ Getting upset with dealer service #1  

deere755

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case 2090 Massey Ferguson 4233 John Deere 4700
I bought my 1st ever Massey in April. I must say I am suprised at how much I like the tractor. I have an issue with the A/C. I called the local dealer and explained that I had just purchased a new to me tractor and would like to do business with him for parts and repairs. He said they would be more then happy to do business with me even if I didn't buy it from him. He referred me to the service manager and he said he would send someone out in a couple days unless I needed it sooner. I was fine with that it was raining everyday and I wasn't going to be using it until it dried up. 3 weeks later and 3 phone calls I finally got the A/C fixed. This past wednedsday I was using it to spray with and the A/C quit. I call Thursday morning and the service manager says they would be out late afternoon. I get home to find it was still not working. I called Friday morning and he says I am 1st on the list. Friday no one shows up. The big problem is Massey dealers are pretty scarce around here. The one I am dealing with is 15 miles away and the next one is 30 away and from there Its more like 75 mile away. I am thinking as much as I like the tractor maybe I should have bought another Deere. I am tempted to call the owner tomorrow and tell him the story. I know I didn't buy from them but if they gave me good service I would sure consider doing business with them next time. I did try to buy from them but they had nothing close to what I bought at the time. Am I being unreasonable? I would think if they couldn't make it they would at least call and let me know. Don't tell me you will be out and not show. That is worse then just saying it will be a few days.

/ Getting upset with dealer service #2  
Sometimes you have to drive the 75 miles. In the long run you will have wasted less of your time. If the dealer jerks me around I will choose the way that I want to waste my time. And I will waste it by going on the long drive to a better dealer. And then I will tell the bad dealer that I haul my tractor 75 miles away so I don't have to do business with them. Believe me, this works extremely well.

/ Getting upset with dealer service #3  
I bought a new Kubota tractor from a chain dealer in Brookville, Indiana. The same chain has a dealer in Monroe, Ohio. Both are about the same distance from where I live. When I wanted to order a Kubota ballast box for my Kubota tractor the dealer in Monroe, Ohio jerked me around for four days and I still couldn't get it ordered. So I ordered the ballast box from Brookville, Indiana and had it shipped to the Monroe, Ohio store. When I picked it up the dealer in Monroe asked why I didn't order it through them. I told them why. The dealers will grab you at the short hairs. If you let them.

/ Getting upset with dealer service #4  
It happens to us all. Around 1 year ago my Ford had PTO issues. There is a New Holland Dealer 20 minutes from my house. They are overpriced and I don't like them. The next closest dealer is 100 minutes from my house. So I haul my tractor there. They say a week tops. Kept calling them, they kept delaying. One monday, after a long holiday weekend, I call and was told the tractor had been ready for 5 days. Which was well before the holiday weekend started. I look at a calendar and realize it had been over 1 month since they took it in. I was boiling mad. To top off this wonderful story, the 3rd closest dealer is 120 minutes away. Thank goodness I am mechanical and can order parts online, at least for some repairs.

/ Getting upset with dealer service
UPDATE I call today to tell them to take me off the list I have someone else lined up to fix it. He says we were ther Friday and it was working when we left. He said we believe the high pressure is going bad and we have one ordered. I said why didn't you call and let me know. It was not working when I got in it at 4 pm so I assumed you hadn't been here and I was tired of calling you. Good news is I found a Massey mechanic that has opened his own shop and he is little closer. He wouldn't work for warranty work but I never can afford new anyway.

/ Getting upset with dealer service #6  
I doubt you were being jerked around. Tractor dealers are not like car dealers. They do not have a big service department full of mechanics. They usually have 3-4 guys in back, and one of them does house calls. At this time of year, EVERYONE is pushing hard to plant and bale hay. It doesn't take long to overwhelm the service department in the spring. Admonish you A/C not to fail until the fall....

/ Getting upset with dealer service
I doubt you were being jerked around. Tractor dealers are not like car dealers. They do not have a big service department full of mechanics. They usually have 3-4 guys in back, and one of them does house calls. At this time of year, EVERYONE is pushing hard to plant and bale hay. It doesn't take long to overwhelm the service department in the spring. Admonish you A/C not to fail until the fall....

I guess I wouldn't feel jerkrd around if they showed up when they told me they were going to. If something goes wrong and you can't make it after all just give me a call and let me know. The 1st time they took 3 weeks and it was wet and rainy. I have dealt with equipment dealers for years and never been treated like this. I understand that they can't always give you same day service but I expect them to be here when they tell me they will.

/ Getting upset with dealer service #8  
Agree 100%!! A phone call to keep you informed takes 2 minutes. It should be a common courtesy. It always makes a good impression on me when someone shows up on time or calls to let me know they are running late, they are very likely to get my business if they show me respect for my time and some manners.

/ Getting upset with dealer service #9  
This reminds me of the place that came out to fix tire my after I had broken the valve off. I called from work, the said they might be able to make it out there that day. I gave them all the info and address, including charge card info.
Well 3 hours later I get a call from the place that not only was it done, but for some reason it $10 less expensive then quoted. These guys I like.

If a place of business can't call to keep me informed of the status my product then I don't usually go back. I've been lucky so far.

Wedge

/ Getting upset with dealer service #10  
I think we all had beeter learn how to stand in the "Service Frustration Line". Auto, Truck, Tractor Dealers, Appliance Dealers, etc have all reduced service personnel to the bare bones. This equates too when service on a product is needed a long delay in repairs or repairs not being done correctly. I was talking to some Techs at a large GM Dealership recently and they advised in service training was down and Tech's below five years of service were recently downsized out the door. As a result of this repairs that used to get done in two too three days were now being scheduled for completion in a week or more. Nice.......