Loader Massey Ferguson 240/232 Loader Pump Shaft

/ Massey Ferguson 240/232 Loader Pump Shaft #1  

wileysam

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 240
I have a Massey Ferguson 240 tractor with a 232 front end loader. The flexible shaft that goes from the forward pulley to the pump has the splines worn off, so that it will not drive the pump. To get another shaft (non-flexible) requires me to give the supplier the length of the old shaft - and there's the problem.

The shaft screws into the pulley with left-handed threads, but has been in there for so long it's probably rusted in. Short of dismantling the front end, how do I get the shaft to break loose (the flexible shaft kinks with heavy torque).

Help!

Thanks.

Sam

/ Massey Ferguson 240/232 Loader Pump Shaft #2  
I have a 2001 s231 massey-ferguson tractor. I will attach a 232 front loader without an external pump. I want to know what area of the tractor I can hook up the hydraulic line, the location of the direct access to the internal pump. I understand it can be done but the loader operation will be very slow.

/ Massey Ferguson 240/232 Loader Pump Shaft #3  
I have a 2001 s231 massey-ferguson tractor. I will attach a 232 front loader without an external pump. I want to know what area of the tractor I can hook up the hydraulic line, the location of the direct access to the internal pump. I understand it can be done but the loader operation will be very slow.

First off, welcome to TBN!

I'm guessing you're talking about a 231S, not an s231, correct? Honestly, your best bet would be to start a thread in the Massey Ferguson forum. I have the shop manual, and parts manuals for the 241/231S (some slight differences between them), but you can look at the parts manual online at the Agco website, and that will show you all of the hydraulic system. I thought all 231S came with one external remote, but I could be wrong.

/ Massey Ferguson 240/232 Loader Pump Shaft #4  
When I did mine I had to take the front of to get the adapter plate of the pulley then put the adaptor plate in a vise and used a torch to heat it up enough to unscrew it. When you replace the new shaft put lots of never seize on the threads.

/ Massey Ferguson 240/232 Loader Pump Shaft #5  
Thanks for the advise about using the Agco website, I will pay them a visit. It is a Massey-Ferguson 231S. After owning and using this utility tractor since 2001, I should know the model name and number.

/ Massey Ferguson 240/232 Loader Pump Shaft #6  
I have a Massey Ferguson 240 tractor with a 232 front end loader. The flexible shaft that goes from the forward pulley to the pump has the splines worn off, so that it will not drive the pump. To get another shaft (non-flexible) requires me to give the supplier the length of the old shaft - and there's the problem.

The shaft screws into the pulley with left-handed threads, but has been in there for so long it's probably rusted in. Short of dismantling the front end, how do I get the shaft to break loose (the flexible shaft kinks with heavy torque).

Help!

Thanks.

Sam

Here's my solution (case resolved)
it took two men with "cheaters" to break loose the shaft - it was left handed. It just took tremendous force.
Once the shaft was loose, I purchased a small spline adapter and had it welded to the old flexible shaft as a replacement. It worked!
One problem - the set screws (as on the old adapter) ARE needed to keep the adapter from disengaging when considerable torque is applied, as in a large load.

/ Massey Ferguson 240/232 Loader Pump Shaft #7  
Here's my solution (case resolved)
it took two men with "cheaters" to break loose the shaft - it was left handed. It just took tremendous force.
Once the shaft was loose, I purchased a small spline adapter and had it welded to the old flexible shaft as a replacement. It worked!
One problem - the set screws (as on the old adapter) ARE needed to keep the adapter from disengaging when considerable torque is applied, as in a large load.

Where is the set screw located? My shaft have mess up and I can not pull it off. Do I have to remove the front end of tractor.
1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg