How long does it take U to do Maint.?

/ How long does it take U to do Maint.? #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
It takes me pretty much all day to maint. on my cab tractor - like 8-10 hours. I do all aspects: air filters, engine oil/filter, trans, oil filters, collant, fwd oil, lub, other small stuff. why does it take me so long...how long does it take you guys?

/ How long does it take U to do Maint.? #2  
I don't have any cab tractors, and traded my 4wd.

But if I pull my tractors down to the barn, in 8 hrs I can service probably about 6 of them.

just takes alot of buckets. and money.. ;)

/ How long does it take U to do Maint.? #3  
it depends. semi yearly maintenance or everyday maintenance.

everyday before use maintenance do a quick over look of everything (slowing walking round it and under hoods), is checking gas, oil, coolant levels, and grease things if need be.

everyday after use maintenance, quick over look of everything (same as above) air compressor to blow stuff off. grease if i need to. if no longer going to use an implement like a plow or disc, i will oil/grease everything up so less chance of rust forming on things and things freezing up before next year use.

semi yearly or yearly maintenance, is engine oil change along with engine oil filter. if i am due for hyd oil change and filter change i will do so. if i am using tractor every day as if it was a 40 hr a day non stop use or rather heavy use. i might check filters and like more often based on hour meter and how hard and abusive i was on the tractor and implements

========
get yourself the "operators manual" for your tractor. and go by that. and keep track of your "hour meter" on the tractor. there is no need to constantly and every time check oil filters, air filters and like. most likely you have some sort of "dash" with "warning lights" for various things if they go wrong.

granted i am not tossing out preventive maintenance, due to it can stop a lot of more expensive repairs later down road. but i think you are trying to be to much of a neat freak. and you need to curve your habits back.

errr last paragraph sounded like i was coming off mean or disgraceful. and that was not my intention. but more of trying state there is a balance of things. and at moment i think you are on one of the far ends of a neat freak vs someone that never does anything to tractor. it is good that you are checking things. but as often as you do. you should be able to easily drop some things off on daily checking. and more rely on the "operators manual" for checking / changing things, and the hour meter on the tractor.

/ How long does it take U to do Maint.? #4  
It depends a lot on the size of the tractor. For the major service on my Kubota B7800 (200 hours) of the Hydro filters, engine oil and filters, and to do all the checks recommended it takes me about about 5 hours. I have included and hour in this for cleaning up the mess and disposing of the used fluids. A pro could do this in a quarter of this time. But I always set time aside for this and thoroughly go over the tractor and check for glitches that I have learned on TBN to check for.

/ How long does it take U to do Maint.? #5  
One thing I'll add. while I'm not into the new bells and whistles of new tractors ( I like vintage iron ).. I kinda do like the air filter minders / vacume gauges, if I am stuck with dry disposable filter.

takes some of the interval guess work out if working in dusty conditions. as to when that outter filter needs servicing ( usually before oil change if real dusty )..

as for the oil bath types.. it's a no brainer.. oil in the cup can be dirty in 10 hrs of dusty use.. just gander in and change and go..e tc.

soundguy

/ How long does it take U to do Maint.? #6  
Sounds to me that you are doing a major 500 hr routines. Why? There are shorter routines, every day, 50, 100 and 200 hours to choose from depending on hours in service.

/ How long does it take U to do Maint.? #7  
Maybe I just work quickly, or have a knack for it from doing it so many years, but most tractors I fully service in an hour or so. Just did Dad's new 5045E Deere (first 100hr service), changed engine oil/filter, hydraulic oil filter, topped off hyd fluid, checked coolant, greased all the fittings on the tractor, greased all the fittings on the loader, checked the front axle oil and front plantaries oil. Including cleanup it took me an hour.

About the same time for my B3200 or our M9540. They all require roughly the same service.

What does take me longer is my Ford NAA. While it is much simpler, there is also a lot more to check/adjust, etc if you do it all. Oil bath air filter to clean, dry brakes to adjust, points to clean and set, 3 trans/hyd sumps, etc

/ How long does it take U to do Maint.? #8  
Maybe I just work quickly, or have a knack for it from doing it so many years, but most tractors I fully service in an hour or so. Just did Dad's new 5045E Deere (first 100hr service), changed engine oil/filter, hydraulic oil filter, topped off hyd fluid, checked coolant, greased all the fittings on the tractor, greased all the fittings on the loader, checked the front axle oil and front plantaries oil. Including cleanup it took me an hour.

About the same time for my B3200 or our M9540. They all require roughly the same service.

What does take me longer is my Ford NAA. While it is much simpler, there is also a lot more to check/adjust, etc if you do it all. Oil bath air filter to clean, dry brakes to adjust, points to clean and set, 3 trans/hyd sumps, etc

No doubt someone here will beat your one hour time.

/ How long does it take U to do Maint.? #9  
few minutes before each run to check fluids and grease zerks. One day each year before winter I wash it change oil, regrease everything.

/ How long does it take U to do Maint.? #10  
It takes me pretty much all day to maint. on my cab tractor - like 8-10 hours. I do all aspects: air filters, engine oil/filter, trans, oil filters, coolant, fwd oil, lube, other small stuff. why does it take me so long...how long does it take you guys?

For all you describe. On our L5030, in about 3-4 hours and on the M8540 about an hour longer, the M8540 is an estimate as we haven't done the coolant yet.

I have to admit the first time we did it, we took much longer, but once you do it things go faster. Of course the older I get the slower I am, so my son may be doing all of it in the future as he is doing everything on the M8540.