1952 Ford 8n...worth buying?

/ 1952 Ford 8n...worth buying? #1  

bige1973

I just bought 12 acres of land and am looking for a tractor. Found a 1952 8n that looks to be in good shape but just not sure about something that old. Also any other suggestions on the type of tractor I should buy will be appreciated. I just need one for general operation...disc, bush hog, auger etc. I would also like to be able to use a finishing mower to cut the lawn with. Not sure exactly what size tractor I should be looking for. Thanks for your help.

/ 1952 Ford 8n...worth buying? #2  
The 8n is a good all-around tractor. It's not great at everything, but it can do a little of anything. 5' shredder......5' disc......5-6' finish mower.....it can handle all of those things fine. Tough little tractors and hard to beat.

It doesn't have the gear selection of modern tractors among other things, of course, but don't let the age worry you too much. If it's good (no serious leaks, good tires, sounds good, feels good, fluids check out) then I would take it in a heartbeat and have a little tractor that can handle your jobs at the fraction of the cost of a new one.

/ 1952 Ford 8n...worth buying? #3  
8n's ,9n,2n's..have a non-live pto(push the clutch in the pto stops.)Not very good for brushog or mower work.Plus the gearing is too tall(even first).Great little tractor..we had two;but not for pto work.Look for something a little newer.Check out soundguys post in the vintage section.

/ 1952 Ford 8n...worth buying? #4  
HELLO TO ALL,
i started out with a TO20 ferguson tractor. i soon
found it not big enough. i suggest you start with a
new tractor, if you can afford it. the old tractors do not
have power steering, or proper hydraulics like a new
tractor.
good luck with your project
accordionman
wlbrown

/ 1952 Ford 8n...worth buying?
Thanks to all. I think from the comments so far I need something a little newer. I think I will just post a new thread as I need all the help I can get with regards to size and type. Thanks again.

/ 1952 Ford 8n...worth buying? #6  
bige1973
:welcome:

I'd suggest first deciding/picking a dealer close that can help, and at least get some idea what they have available.

I have had the 8N Ford, TO-30 Ferguson, 420 JD, and now a JD 4300. The newer HST control with 4 wd and FEL is the way to go IMO. Many brands to choose from, and whereas I dearly loved the 8N Ford, you will find they will take your time keeping them tuned and parts (sellers too) sometimes hard to find.

Good luck with your decision. If you are young and mechanically inclined, go with the older tractors. I retired and want to enjoy the ride, go with the modern and get the bells and whistles that are the latest for ease and comfort. We only are here for a short time. ;)

/ 1952 Ford 8n...worth buying? #7  
The 8n's are great little tractors that were way ahead of their time back in the 40's and 50's. I used one to bushhog the fields, rake and plow my driveway (1000'), haul logs, etc.. That being said, plan to spend as much time working on it as using it. I just sold mine and wished I hadn't (for sentimental reasons).

/ 1952 Ford 8n...worth buying? #8  
The 8n tractor is still a good tractor and would probably serve u well for what ur needing to do. I have ran one for years and did the same as which u are wanting to do.

/ 1952 Ford 8n...worth buying? #9  
8n's are what made the modern compact tractor. They were then and still are work horses. If you want to get it done and are not hung on bells and whisles they are great. I have a 2005 JD that set around half the winter while I pulled wood with my NAA (next gen 8n) with the norse winch. I bush hog, rake hay, drill post holes, grade my driveway, all with the ford while the JD sits. If you want a loader, shy away from the 8n their front ends and steering box cant handle lots of loader work. The gears are a little tall but you will get used to it. The didn't know what ergonomics were back then so don't get comfortable. The parts are readily available through a good dealership, and lots of them are right at motor supply. Easy to work on, and mine doesn't break down any more than some of the newer ones do. All in all if I could have just one it would be my newer JD, but the street value of a new or newer compact tractor is 3 times what an old 8n brings. Around here you can get a pretty good 8n for $2500 or so, a little less for a tinkerer, more for restored. Big thing is the rear tires, new set runs around $700 so figure that in to purchase price. When my wife asks how many do you need, I just reply 1 more.

/ 1952 Ford 8n...worth buying? #10  
I ran a 1950 8N for close to 20 years until I was in a position to but something newer with more features, mainly independant pto, live hydraulics, powerful 3 point, 4wd, hydro trans, but the 8N will do all things you ask, and I am sure will outlast my new Kubota that is 59 years newer. The 8N pulled my 6' RFM with no problem, best if you have long runs of grass to cut. Everytime you push in on the clutch the mower will stop. Not a big deal, just a little inconvieinent. Will run a 5' bush hog. 3 point lift limit is about 750 pounds. You will have to spend about $200 a year on it just updating and fixing things, but parts are readily available. Your choice, a $2500 8N that will take some work and maintenance, something newer that is used, or a new $20000 tractor. Good luck. Philip.