Opinions on Electric Impact Wrenches

/ Opinions on Electric Impact Wrenches #11  
I've got a Craftsman 1/2" corded impact wrench (DeWalt I think). It's big and pretty heavy but it works pretty well. A lug nut is at it's upper range if it's really tight, I think there's been a couple that bested it but 99% I was able to remove. I got it for changing wheels when I use to race a Bear Ridge.

I also bought a cheap one, Chuck Hommer (or something like that). I got it because small stones would get inside the motor if it was set down in the dirt and come flying out. The cheap one had the spring loaded ball that held the socket on come out so it would no longer hold it on. Since it was just for racing I mounted one size socket on it and got another week or two before something inside broke.

Since then I switched to a borrowed Milwaukee 18v cordless 1/2" impact. I swear it has more power than the corded one. If money is not at issue I would get one but they do (or at least the last time I looked) cost about 2 1/2 times the price of the corded name brands.

The last think I used it for was to remove the spindle bolts from the mower deck on my lawn mower. It's about 5 years old and easily removed them. Before that was the large crank shaft bolt holding the harmonic balancer/ pulley on an 02' Hyundai with about 100k on it. I had to soak the bolt with penetrating oil and on the third attempt the Craftsman got it.

1/2" bolts shouldn't be too much of a problem.

/ Opinions on Electric Impact Wrenches
Thanks for the replies. You guys saying that they are real tools and not play things is what I needed to here. I was looking at a Dewalt or Milwaukee. Both are about 350 ft-lb rating. The DeWalt draws 8.3 A and the Milwaukee 7 A. Maybe that makes the DeWalt is stronger, not sure ?? . I have tools from both and they are good quality IMO. Thanks again :)

/ Opinions on Electric Impact Wrenches #14  
I've had a Craftsman 1/2" drive impact for over 25 years, at the time they marketed this one as one of their "industrial" tools. It's worked so well for me I've not had a need to buy an air impact, thought that may change as I do more to my tractor. But they can handle the use you outlined with ease.

/ Opinions on Electric Impact Wrenches #15  
I bought one of the cheap half inch electric impacts from Harbor Freight. It has been bullet proof and I have really given it a beating. Surprisingly powerful too. I think I paid like $30 for it on sale.

/ Opinions on Electric Impact Wrenches #16  
Another vote for the corded DeWalt 1/2". Had mine for 5+ years. I also have a compressor and air impact, but I seem to favor the electric. The only problem is I have no excuse for not rotating tires since it only takes 5 minutes.

/ Opinions on Electric Impact Wrenches #17  
I have a 1/2" corded Milwaukee that I've used for the last 12 years, and haven't had a lick of trouble with it. I use it or an air impact gun depending on what I'm working on, and how far from the air compressor I am. Sometimes it also depends on how much noise is going to be made, the electric is a bit quieter than air.