Water traps on backhoes....hoe latches

/ Water traps on backhoes....hoe latches #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have a question for you guys. How often do you have to deal with your water trap on your backhoes? How often do you have to drain that crap out? I have to do it every week when I fuel up and it's really annoying to constantly have to do that. Does anyone have a 580B, C, D or E or had them and can you tell me what you did with that. Even people with Kubota L35's. I'm confused on why we have to do this so often but cars and trucks don't have this problem. My boss said that we have to keep the fuel tank full to minimize the condensation affet therefore causing clogs in the water trap and backing up ino the filter. The reason I ask is we had to replace the filters AGAIN in our backhoe in such a short amount of time. Thanks for the help.

Blake
WA

P.S. Also, people who have backhoes with latches, more than likely those that have the larger backhoes, how much play is there in your hoe. Ours has a some what large gap allowing the hoe to juggle a lot. Someone either slamed the how back to hard when locking it or they don't use the hydraulics to keep the hoe from moving so much when is second gear on bumpy roads. We had to fix it because one hook was broken off, the other close. So....If there's supposed to be little play but enough that it won't snap due to all the preasure it would be good to know so we can fix that.

Thanks again!

/ Water traps on backhoes....hoe latches #2  
It sounds like y'all might be introducing contamination into your 'hoes from your fuel supply. I never have a big enough job for my tractor that I can't drag it to the fuel station and I don't have dirt or condensation problems. You might have an algae problem in your tank. Algae, pond scum if you will, grows in the water condensation forms in the bottom of your tank. The only way to cure that would be a thorough cleaning.

/ Water traps on backhoes....hoe latches #3  
Are you fueling at a station or from a tank onsite? I'd say your getting water in the fuel at some point ahead of the machine.

I guess I'm not picturing the latch question correctly... I remember they have a hoop and a pin that connect....

/ Water traps on backhoes....hoe latches
Yes, we fuel our machines onsite back at the nursery. So you're saying that there might be problems with the tank itself and not with the backhoe's. That's a good thing to know that it's not really the backhoe's fault. Of course if I say something my boss will ignore it but anyway....

Scott- the latch thing..... Their are the two 'hooks' on both sides to latch on to the pin that goes through the hoe, one actually broke off, the other close to doing so. I'm just curious how large of a gap there should be, or another way to put it, how large should that 'hook' be. There's a lot of play in my backhoe because "I" think that the hooks are too spaced. I'm just curious to see what other people have going on their backhoes.

Blake
WA

/ Water traps on backhoes....hoe latches #5  
Anything else that gets fuel from the onsite tank having problems? Like Bgott, I get tractor fuel from the station as it's close by and I've never seen any water in the bowl of the tractor in 10yrs.

I'd imagine the latch connection to be pretty snug. As I remember of the case design the latch holds the boom over center and is under quite a bit of load. The swing tower might also need rebushing.

/ Water traps on backhoes....hoe latches #6  
You can check the site tank for water pretty easily with some water paste and a dip stick. The paste goes on the end of the stick (looks like mustard) and stays that way when in contact with fuel/gasoline but turns red in contact with water which will be on the bottom of the tank.

/ Water traps on backhoes....hoe latches
Thanks everyone for you answers. It really helped.

Blake
WA