Dirt Moving How do I grade rocky soil??????

/ How do I grade rocky soil??????
Would something like this work for you?

Gallery - Jakes Implements

Thanks, interesting implement. I sent for a price request, just out of curiosity. Much less steel then a BB, so I would imagine it would cost less. Only problem is, I don't see how it would help with my rock situation, digging up yes, but not collecting them as I think a BB would. Thanks again

/ How do I grade rocky soil?????? #23  
Carl,

For the most part stirring up the top layer is easy to do, sorting out the rocks is the larger problem. As I mentioned earlier in this thread I use a rock bucket to sift through the loose top layer to collect the larger rocks. Without a good rockpicker this leaves some hand raking to gather the rocks. I haven't had much success with using a boxblade to sort the rocks out. Small rocks will always be there in the soil and shouldn't be a problem for your lawn.

Carl,

For the most part stirring up the top layer is easy to do, sorting out the rocks is the larger problem. As I mentioned earlier in this thread I use a rock bucket to sift through the loose top layer to collect the larger rocks. Without a good rockpicker this leaves some hand raking to gather the rocks. I haven't had much success with using a boxblade to sort the rocks out. Small rocks will always be there in the soil and shouldn't be a problem for your lawn.

I feel like this is a losing battle. Every seemingly small rock peeking through the ground, turns out to be a 2, 3 or 4 foot diameter boulder. I guess I am just goint to have to dig up every square inch with the BH and then attack it with a BB. A lot of work with a 12" bucket, now i wish I had gone with the 18". Oh well, live and learn. Here are some pics to give you an idea.

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

0828101528a.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

/ How do I grade rocky soil?????? #25  
Carl,
That is alot of rock and I doubt the problem will go away either. If you have frost heave pushing new one to the surface each year I suspect this is a losing battle. That said the good thing is that it appears to grow the sapplings and vegetation well in spite of all the rock. So I think I would gather the surface rock and leave the rest of it. Might be better served to add top soil to top dress and smooth where needed.

I worked over a job similar to this in Feb this year where there was so much rock you couldn't get a mower thru it. I pushed and pried as many of the surface rocks out as was reasonable and made a berm with them on the downslope edge of the property. Smoothed the rest up and added a thin layer of topsoil to topdress. Here are some pics from Feb 2011 of the completed seedbed.

/ How do I grade rocky soil?????? #26  
We have alot of rock like that and plenty to frigid weather to make frost here in NE Vermont. I find the rocks are constantly being pushed up by the frost on the road or anywhere I plow. But on the lawn where we get snow cover the frost doesn't go so deep and the rocks don't push up. We just got rid of the surface rocks best we could and covered the area over with sump sand (poor man's loam) then planted the grass like jenkinsph suggested. You can see the tops of rocks in places and for a couple I have to lift the mower deck a little as I go over but it stays the same every year. So if you get snow where you are you might be OK.

Carl,
That is alot of rock and I doubt the problem will go away either. If you have frost heave pushing new one to the surface each year I suspect this is a losing battle. That said the good thing is that it appears to grow the sapplings and vegetation well in spite of all the rock. So I think I would gather the surface rock and leave the rest of it. Might be better served to add top soil to top dress and smooth where needed.

I worked over a job similar to this in Feb this year where there was so much rock you couldn't get a mower thru it. I pushed and pried as many of the surface rocks out as was reasonable and made a berm with them on the downslope edge of the property. Smoothed the rest up and added a thin layer of topsoil to topdress. Here are some pics from Feb 2011 of the completed seedbed.

Nice job. That JD 110 sure is a beautiful machine, especially with the cab. You must get some very enjoyable seat time with the AC blowing.

As far as the dirt, I figure I will get it as flat and rock free as possible and then put a couple of inches of top soil to finish it off. Any idea how much it would take to cover 1/2 acre? My Dad just paid $45 a yard plus delivery, a total of $540 w/tax and delivery for 10 yds. Luckily I have a friend of a friend who is willing to give it to me for $20 yd delivered. Its not quite as nice as what my Dad got, but at close to 1/3 of the price, it will due just fine.

We have alot of rock like that and plenty to frigid weather to make frost here in NE Vermont. I find the rocks are constantly being pushed up by the frost on the road or anywhere I plow. But on the lawn where we get snow cover the frost doesn't go so deep and the rocks don't push up. We just got rid of the surface rocks best we could and covered the area over with sump sand (poor man's loam) then planted the grass like jenkinsph suggested. You can see the tops of rocks in places and for a couple I have to lift the mower deck a little as I go over but it stays the same every year. So if you get snow where you are you might be OK.

I hope your right, because to tell you the truth, I have been digging huge holes to bury a lot of the larger boulders. This is what my neighbor had done to his property about 10 yrs ago, and so far no problems.

/ How do I grade rocky soil?????? #29  
Carl,
I have dug holes to bury rock and used the displaced dirt to smooth over the yard areas that need it. As for spreading the topsoil I would do this sparingly, only as needed. It would take a tremendous amount of dirt to cover 1/2 acre. The grass will cover over small rock (gravel size 3/4 to 1 1/2) as long as it is pressed down flush with the surface.

I recommend you break this up into some smaller areas to handle one at a time.

/ How do I grade rocky soil?????? #30  
I work it out to be about 65 yards of top soil per inch to cover half an acre. I didn't double check the math, but it sounds about right. Depending on the top soil density, it's probably about 1 ton per yard. That's a few dollars.

My lawn is about 12 years old. There were three rocks just at the surface that have bugged me the whole time. About two weeks ago, I went at 'em with my L35. Well, they were big enough that when I got them out and pinched between the bucket and the boom, I couldn't steer the tractor going forward up the slight (3% or so) grade to my rock pile. I had to drive it in reverse to get enough front tire on the ground to steer. Good times.

One other poster mentioned frost heave, and his experience mirrors mine. The grass and then the snow insulates the ground well enough that frost heave isn't a problem. It does happen on open ground, such as the driveway, but not the lawn. I'm in CT, so our winters are probably similar.

Good luck, and have fun.