Willow Stick to Radiator Fan

/ Willow Stick to Radiator Fan #1  

CowwFace

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE HST, 401FEL, RB40-96 pivoting Rear Blade
Well I've seen it posted here several times and it thought I was being so careful BUT!! 111 hours on my baby and my first battle injury.

I was moving stacks of willow branches, ranging from 6 to 10 feet in length and about 4-6 feet high, to more dry ground to be run through a chipper. All was going great until I noticed the temp gauge creeping up (My Kioti temp never varies from the 2 small dots on the gauge) ... Sure enough it kept getting closer to the Red so I shut the motor off ... Looked for leaks .. none.. checked oil it was fine, Hydro fluid good ... let things cool off and started the motor back up.. temp was in the normal range ... drove across the meadow for another load and temp crept up again .. I was thinking thermostat or water pump .. then I opened the hood and took off the side panels ... and my fan was broken ... undoubtedly by a rogue stick getting up there somehow?? I did not notice it was broken the first time I looked because engine was running ... but with the engine off .. pretty obvious.

My radiator got kissed a bit, but no leaks so I think I got off pretty easy with just a $30.00 fan replacement ... dang try to be so careful and this stuff still happens!

Tractor on

Attachments

• Tractor Fan broke 4 06-14-2011.jpg
    Tractor Fan broke 4 06-14-2011.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Tractor Fan broke 06-14-2011.jpg
    Tractor Fan broke 06-14-2011.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 170
  • Tractor Radiator ouch 06-14-2011.jpg
    Tractor Radiator ouch 06-14-2011.jpg
    716.3 KB · Views: 147
   / Willow Stick to Radiator Fan #2  
I had the same thing, didn't break any blades but sure did gouge the heck out of the radiator.

/ Willow Stick to Radiator Fan #3  
W then I opened the hood and took off the side panels ... and my fan was broken ... undoubtedly by a rogue stick getting up there somehow??

I think the first pic shows how the stick got in. You can see ground from the camera angle. IF you can see the ground, a long enough stick can "see" your fan from there! You're fortunate no other damage was done!

/ Willow Stick to Radiator Fan #4  
That must have made some kinda noise? or not?

There should be a law against rogue sticks. :)

/ Willow Stick to Radiator Fan
I did not hear a thing ... possibly My "Tractor Smile" was covering my ears? :laughing:

One good thing is I got to practice removing the FEL. With tip's I got on TBN it went pretty well. I think they key is to keep the hydraulic lines attached until you back away slightly so you can manipulate the rams a little to get more clearance.

Tractor on