ford 3000 power steering

/ ford 3000 power steering #1  

ehengle

Tractor
ford 3000
The power steering cylinder (left side) snapped causing the hydraulic lines to also break. I have replaced with a used cylinder. During the replacement process the fluid reservoir emptied causing the fluid to get foamy. After completing the installation and toping off the fluid the power steering didn't work. I pretty positive that I connected the fittings in the proper order because I tested the operation of the cylinder before connecting to the front end. Do I have to bleed the system (don't know how i would go about it) or do I need to let it sit for a while until the foam settles out?
Appreciate any thoughts or help on this...

/ ford 3000 power steering
I see a thread on a 4000 PS system - describes cycling the steering left and right with front end lifted. Should I use the same procedure for my 3000?
Thanks guys!

/ ford 3000 power steering #3  
Soundguy is the expert on these things; might pm if he doesn't show up.

Indeed. Judging from the amount of advice he provides on this forum I'd say he's who I'm looking to hear from. Thanks!!!

/ ford 3000 power steering #5  
I can only offer what my limited experience was. I had the steering column on my 3000 rebuilt, and I didn’t need to bleed the system when I put it all back together. I’m sure Soundguy can offer some advice.

Got response via PM - basically the same as for the 4000. Lock the wheel right and left - Thanks Soundguy!

/ ford 3000 power steering #7  
and do make sure you got the lines back on correctly..

Something isn't right with the cylinder or some other component. I lost track of the proper connection configuration when installing the cylinder and new lines. So, I did a test by disconnecting the new (used) cylinder where it connects to the drag link. When I tried to turn the wheel the cylider extended/retracted slowly. The right side was still fully connected so I figured the slow movement was ok. Also, during the install process the fluid turned milky. A buddy said this was foam - turns out the resevior was empty so this made sense.
- Soundguy informed me that turning the wheel should be easy (using a finger). I have to wrestle the wheel and even then turning is minimal with the tractor moving.
- Is it possible that I dammaged something when the connections were backward? What are the indications that the lines are installed backward. Any suggestions in troubleshooting are appreciated. I'm mechanically inclined but have no experience with tractors.

/ ford 3000 power steering #9  
bent componets are the norm

need to get it bleed though.. the resvoir is small.. and that's alot of oil to make up.. foaming will cause cavitation and poor steering.

take and hour add some oil, turn a lil.. add more oil, turn more.. etc.. etc.. etc.

soundguy

Will do - thanks! It'll be a couple of weeks since I have to travel tomorrow (the day job).