Diesel engine warm-up and cool down

/ Diesel engine warm-up and cool down #11  
Cool down is almost completely worthless unless the engine is turbocharged and even then would only be necessary if you were *JUST* working the engine HARD.

While an engine is in use, it is almost always operating below the peak design temperature and certainly is if you lifted the deck and drove it carefully into your shop for parking. Additional "cool-down" time is not warranted under such conditions and in fact may cause more harm than you may suspect because the cylinder temperatures drop quickly when an engine is under low or light loads. This can cause fuel to burn incompletely adding soot load and unburned fuel to the oil, neither are good.

With a turbocharged engine things are a little different, it is *most* important to allow the engine to return completely to idle for a few seconds before shutting down. Failure to do so can result in excessive bearing wear of the turbo due to lack of lubrication while it is spinning down.

As an aside, I did a crude test one day out of idle curiosity. After replacing the oil cooler on a CAT 3116 in a C5500 I started the engine to check for leaks before I re-installed the air filter assembly to the turbo (it is a PITA to remove/install and in the way of EVERYTHING on the RH side). We allowed the engien to idle for a few minutes and finding no leaks I shut the engine off. From IDLE the turbo continued to spin for nearly a minute! I brought the techs over, started the engine again then shut it down. They were AMAZED that a turbo spun for that long w/o oil. The lesson is, NEVER EVER "goose" a turbocharged egine before shutting it off, unless you like replacing turbos that is.

/ Diesel engine warm-up and cool down
OP here, I did question about the cool down period for non-turbo diesels in my original post. When formerly employed driving medium sized straight trucks, I knew enough to let them idle down after an extended run, before killing the engine. First turbo diesel our unit had I shared with another driver, who treated the truck like a car engine, ie, almost no warmup when cold and killing the engine with no cooldown period. OEM turbo fried at 62,000 miles despite regular maintenance. (Navistar Dt-466). Replacement truck has the same engine, required CDL so I was the only driver. Was still running strong at 212,000 miles.

Thanks much for your input, you pinpointed my main query. :thumbsup:

/ Diesel engine warm-up and cool down #13  
I had a turbo go out on the International Pro Star I was driving. Cummins engine.........24,000 miles. I always do the 'warm up- cool down' routine.

EDIT: I have no clue what happened to the turbo. Techs didn't either. International replaced it under warranty.