Pushing Back the Banks

/ Pushing Back the Banks #21  
Good idea Derek. I actually saw a set-up similar to what you're describing a few years ago. It was maybe 60 miles south of here. They had an eight foot blower on the front of an F-350, hydraulic motor powered by a pump on the truck. Not sure how it was hooked up exactly, something about an auxillary PTO. If ever I get down that way again, I'll stop in and have a closer look.

/ Pushing Back the Banks #22  
<font color="blue">We'll see as the winter progresses! </font>

I've been working up north. That's just a mile or two shy of the Red River. I haven't seen any of that white stuff ya'll are showing in pictures.

Yesterday it was in the high sixties and low seventies with occasional sprinkles. But with my skid loader I skimmed up about seventy yards of dirt full of bamboo roots. I loaded these onto a dump truck with my bud's backhoe, Cat 416B. Then using the skid loader I skimmed up six inches of top soil with dormant bermuda and it was loaded onto the dump truck to replace the tierra firma lost removing the bamboo roots.

It wasn't a full day. And it was hard. I mean it's a bugger bear using a nontooth'd front bucket to only dig out six inches, either in bermuda or bamboo. You have to really concentrate on the angle of that bucket. Too much too fast and you've got a hole and too little too late and you're filling up that bucket with lots of nothing.

I even worked up a sweat. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know some of you have real jobs. You don't get to operate a skid loader, a backhoe, and drive a dump truck and get paid for it.

Oh, and I did all this because we're clearing a right of way for a fence I'm installing.

BTW I have a thing about real jobs. Everyone I know who has one hates it. Why would I want one?

/ Pushing Back the Banks #23  
You wouldn't... I don't... I wanna do fun stuff like build houses and some of the stuff you just named off... I hope I get rid of my real job soon, at the right time mind you, hate to get fired, even if it's not fun.

Get a toothed bucket, or use the backhoe to scratch it up. With a little practice, one can shave off an inch at a time with a backhoe.

/ Pushing Back the Banks #24  
Maybe you use a boxblade with scarcifiers to break it up. Then skim up the dirt with the loader. Just a thought.

Well...were going to find if I'm bad at pushing snow with the FEL today. They say 5-9" today. It started snowing last night after raining all day. Probably got 4-5" last night but with blowing I already have 9-12" sitting around as it is and more to come.

I know this is nothing compared to NY etc.. in the East. The neighbor kids will love the snow pile /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif