Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Do you trust your parking brakes? I don\'t...

My 580B's brakes suck too. They aren't good at all! I never use the e-brake when on a real steep hill, it's the stabalizers and/or the front bucket down that keeps the machine from moving any. That's one flaw that case has with the early models. K's started to get better I believe.

Blake
    WA

Tractor
    none any longer

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am an easy going guy, but the more I think about this the more I see red... )</font>

Henro - take it easy. Sit back and drink one of those cervezas [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

One of the first times I got off my tractor, I kicked the brake pedal and released the parking brake. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
    I immediately got into the habit of dismounting on the other side. Haven't had a problem since. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2910, also Honda HT3813 with mower and front blade.

Bill,

To be honest, I don't really trust any brakes. I'll use reasonable caution when they are applied, but I wouldn't lay down "without worry" in front of my tractor or my car on a steep hill.

I think the engaging mechanism on the brakes is fine.

(Wanna talk about a stupid brake design...my wife's 2001 Honda Odyssey. Step on the e-brake once and it sets. Touch it again and it releases. If it is already set and you wish to step on it again to "make sure", the brakes release and THEN you can reset them. Now that's progress! I usually can't bash Honda on too many issues, but this one doesn't make sense. Oh, I bet the "soccer moms" like it. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img])

I also think that the harder the brake pedal is set on the kubota, the more force it will take to depress the brake pedal to release them. If they are fully set, it would take quite an accidental drop to release them.

If I park my tractor (or my car, for that matter) on the slope part of my driveway and I'm going to leave it unattended, I put a good size wheel chock behind the wheel. Now that I've got pretty good confidence in.

My Kubota will overpower the brakes in Low gear...last snow storm I made two passes with the snowblower with the brake on [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. But then again, I haven't had a car yet where the parking brake will keep it from moving in gear either.

Enjoy your tractor and don't give the government any incentive to start messing with the brake systems on our tractors like they did with our cars. Or worse yet...require the tractors to have air bags. Oh yeah...right now they're on the "emissions" kick. Hmmmm...just like they did with the auto industry. Give 'em time....they'll get to the brakes eventually. O.K....enough sarcasm for one night.

Enjoy your tractor...and buy a good wheel chock!

~Rick

Thanks for all the input.

I guess I just can't understand why a parking break should release when the normal brake brake pedal is pushed.

Yes, I too do get off my tractor on the left side, staying away from the HST pedal and the brake pedal...good habit I think.

Why not make the parking brake release when the forward pedal is pushed? Or when a manual tractor is put into gear? I wouldn't want that either andI can't get it into my head that a parking brake should release when the normal brake pedal is pushed...

Just call me cement head I suppose [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I accept that this is the way it is...but I don't like it [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The Fabulous Foothills of Northern California

Henro, funny, its the one feature I really liked when I hoped on a NH tractor after using a kubota L4850. The L4850 parking brake is much like that of a car. You must bend down a little lift and push the button on the end to disengage it. I liked just being able to tap the brakes and off I went. I never had an incident with it. Never an accidental release. Oh well, its something that really shouldn't keep anyone from deciding on which tractor to get in my book. With a hydro, the tractors not going anywhere fast when its in gear. It creeps, but very, very slow. Drive safe, Rat...

Tractor
    JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer

The one on my 4600 works just like a car. It works great and has held the tractor on a hill with two round bales. I would trust mine.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

On my B8200, I have the same type setup. It works ok; it locks the tires up.

I found that with that ratchet setup, I put the lever in place with the brake pressed. Then I press on the brakes till it clicks to the next tightest setting. The tractor does not move then, even on a slope.

I did find that brake adjustment makes a big difference in how it works. My brakes were out of adjustment, and the park mechanism did not help at all. Also, if your side to side adjustment is off, you will only set the park brake effectively on one side.

I always have the loader on, and either a scraper or mower on the back. I always lower them when I park, in case one of the kids plays on the tractor, they can't get caught under it. Even without setting the brakes, the lowered loader and scraper hold the tractor in place really well.

Use the combination of loader and rear attachment lowered, and the park brake. The tractor will tend not to move.

Tractor
    Currently tractor-less

On my 4300 SyncReverser, you push down the brakes, then pull out a knob. When you want to release the brakes, you push down hard on the brake pedal, then push the knob in, and finally release the foot brake. Seems simple and easy and unlikely to accidentally release.. but like most of you say the brakes are not powerful enough to stop the tractor if it's in a lower gear. I wouldn't trust the parking brake if possible injury would be the result of failure. But at least this one is tough to accidentally disengage.

Tractor
    99 JD4200 4WD Collarshift

Now this sounds like my Husky riding lawnmower: push in brake, pull knob, and back again. Don't really like it but it works.

Tractor
    Currently tractor-less

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Now this sounds like my Husky riding lawnmower: push in brake, pull knob, and back again. Don't really like it but it works. )</font>

I'm not crazy about it either. If you just push the brake pedal down lightly, and then pull the knob, it will keep the brakes just applied lightly.. so you really have to remember to push the pedal hard before you lock it. Potential for problems there.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast