Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No?

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #1  

Ursa Major

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2305
I will be purchasing a new CUT soon and am leaning towards adding a backhoe as an implement in my purchase. On my readings from this site I find opinions pro and con regarding CUTs with a backhoe.

I recently ordered a JD 3320 with 300CX and a 485 hoe. The setup is for general home/farm use. I'm upgrading from a JD 2305 TLB.

I plan on putting in a root cellar on a hillside that I have. Also, I'm sure I'll find other uses for it; stumps, trenches, shrubs etc. I understand the concept of renting an excavator for large projects or even buying a used construction grade machine but I think for the uses I have listed, a hoe as an implement is a good addition. I know its a heck of a chunk of cash for the 485 but I have this nagging feeling that if I chose to not get the hoe I would put off small projects for the lack of the convenience of having it right there when I needed it.

Has anyone been in this same situation? What did you decide and how have you felt with your decision?

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #2  
Now that I have a back hoe, I would never be without 1. It has not been off the tractor in over 3 years and has only been off to mount a post hole digger. Far better than wasted weight as ballast. It has been used almost as much as the FEL. Pictured are some unusual uses for the back hoe. :laughing:

Cleaning around a tree, pickle fork used for trenching and key hole slots that "T" hooks fit into for picking up and moving things. :thumbsup:

On a slope it can be turned to the high side. Can be used to help should you get stuck. Have pulled hung loads out of the dump truck. ETC. ETC. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• back-hoe-weeds-2e.jpg
    back-hoe-weeds-2e.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 629
  • frok-n-shovel.jpg
    frok-n-shovel.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 588
  • keyhole slots.jpg
    keyhole slots.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 623
  • t hooks 1.jpg
    t hooks 1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 496
   / Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #3  
In Feb 2008, I took delivery of a JD 3320 / 447 TLB. I sold it 3 years later for 7% less than I paid.

Looking at the BH portion only, it cost me $396 to have a Hoe at my beck and call whenever needed. That's $132 per year.

Even if one keeps the BH forever, it's worth it to me. As a replacement to the O/S I got a Cab 3320 with BH. First job over several days / weeks was to remove approx 13 yards of dirt from the front lawn - combined BH / FEL job. Had 18 yards new soil delivered. Used the BH to load approx 5 yards in soil bags and then transport to another location. Doing that job myself probably paid for 1/2 or more of the BH right there.

There will always be some jobs that can be done faster or not at all with a TLB type BH - but for me - I vote YES.

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #4  
What crash325 said!

The only thing I can add is get a thumb if it is available. I use the thumb to pickup trees so I can cut them up without bending over, a life saver for an old guy with a bad back.

It also does a good job of raking my wife's flowerbeds. I use it for digging out tree stumps, cleaning ditches, digging new drainage ditches, transplanting what ever my wife tells me to move, etc.

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #5  
I'm certain it would be cheaper for me to rent one, but I LOVE having a backhoe sitting in the garage, ready for me to use, whenever I choose.

As is the case with a loader, you will find more things to use it for once you have it.

I vote yes.

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #6  
hello iam processing buying kubota L3400 HST with LA 463 FEL loaderandscrapbox with 4 sancks.i amgetting a quote canadian $ 25000 to26000 im confused is it good price or not please let me know thanks..

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #7  
I had the same misgivings about purchasing a tractor. After my wife and I put in our first rock garden on the side of a hill using only a radio flyer wagon to haul the rocks and a shovel to dig with, I said, "This job would have been so much easier with a tractor, but what would we ever use it again for?"

Well, after 5 more years of miscellaneous projects I finally realized I would use a tractor for a lot of things. I wasn't going to make the same mistake by not purchasing a backhoe to go with the tractor.

Needless to say, the backhoe has been more useful than I ever imagined.

Vic

Attachments

• BHThumb 010.jpg
    BHThumb 010.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 628
Last edited:
   / Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #8  
I will be the odd man out, I don't use one enough to justify the cost, if I did I would buy one in a heart beat.

We actually bought a used Case backhoe quite a few years ago and my brother fixed it up. We used it for a few years until our houses were set up and now it just sits in the shed.

Trust me, I look at back hoes every time I go to the dealer, but just don't have the need.

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #9  
Got my tractor 3 years ago with a Woods backhoe with thumb. Sure has been handy to have, picking up logs to cut into firewood rounds and also placing the rounds onto the splitter. Sure makes it easy on the back. Love being able to cut logs with my back straight. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• KiotiWoodWood 002.jpg
    KiotiWoodWood 002.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 595
  • KiotiWoodWood 006.jpg
    KiotiWoodWood 006.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 535
   / Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #10  
I was, and I went ahead and added it on. I'm not sorry I bought the hoe, but to try and cost justify would be an exercise in futility. In my case it's stacks up as a "big boy's toy". Would I get it if I was doing it over??? I honestly don't know, but probably lean toward not buying it. But I'll say this, when you need one, not much else will take it's place. Having it on hand and ready to go must be add some value.