Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tractor
    Kubota B7100DT

Default Should I plow when it is -15 F???

We are forecasted to get 10-16 inches tonite, and the temp will be well below zero before factoring the 25mph gusts. Yuk. Factoring out operator discomfort, should I fire up the diesel to plow, or should I wait until warmer temps- say 5 degrees above?

My tractor is a MF 210-4 2cyl diesel with magentic oilpan heater and glow plugs. It will definately start - but will it cause harm? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Tractor
    JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer

Default Re: Should I plow when it is -15 F???

Plug it in about an hour or two before you're ready to start it. Then go out and go at it. Won't do any damage at all. Just let it warm up good before you get started. No difference that plowing in warmer weather once she's warm.

Tractor
    John Deere 790

Not sure about tractors but cars/trucks are designed and tested to -40. I suspect tractors as well since the technology is so similar.

As CowboyDoc said, let it warm up plenty. Don't forget though that after the engine is warmed the other systems may still be plenty cold. Go easy for a while to give all the oils a chance to warm some.

Other than that, wear warm gloves [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Ford 1220, John Deere 770, Case 580E and Allmand TLB-35

When it's that cold, does it really matter (-15 to -5)? Think about moving south for the winter? Seriously though, winter of 2001 in Chazy, my brother-in-law forgot to let his truck warm up before pushing in the clutch and all of the linkage shattered [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]. Something to consider. Should have directed to SteveM [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

SteveM,

If you don't need to get that snow off right away, why make yourself suffer? There is a big difference between -15 and 5 degrees.

The tractor will handle it, but you may suffer a bit...unless you have a heated cab or better clothes than I do! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Myself, I would wait for things to warm up a bit if I could. For MY sake, not the tractors [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Kubota B3030 loaded!

If you are going to be out for any length of time, wear layers and don't expose any skin -- including your face. I worry about your getting frostbite at -15. Tractor will be OK especially with a pre-heat.

Tractor
    JD 4110 HST w/410 Loader and 60

I have an old high school buddy with no earlobes. His car broke down and he walked a little over 2 miles in -10 plus 20 MPH winds. His lesson was my education.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    DK35

I run with a grain bag over the radiator when it gets below 0, and I have yet to see it get above normal. This comes from high school days with a Model A. bcs

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.

I hate it when it gets near zero or below (heck, I hate it when it gets below 20 above), so I don't go out there unless I absolutely have to! When it is necessary to use the tractor in temps below 20, I plug the block heater in for at least 2 hours AND I put the kerosene turbo heater so it blows on the underside of the tractor for at least an hour to warm up the drivetrain fluids. Then, I tell my wife to make sure she's bundled up good before she heads out there to plow the snow! (just kidding, she hates cold weather more than I do).

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3240HST, KX-121-3S

At temps like that the snow is going to be exceptionally light and fluffy. So why plow at all? The wind will just fill in your work in a couple of minutes anyway. And the ice crystals at that temp range are so sharp you have great traction. Have a cup of coffee and relax. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

By the way, just out of curiousity one winter when we had about 10" of fluff at around zero, I fired up the leaf blower and blew my driveway clear. It worked very well! Anybody else ever do that...or am I just losing it? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast