Ice control "recipe" sand / salt / other??

/ Ice control "recipe" sand / salt / other?? #11  
Re: Ice control \"recipe\" sand / salt / other??

For a woman the house is a scared abode not to be defiled . I think it has someting to do with the survival of our species.

Egon

/ Ice control "recipe" sand / salt / other?? #12  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It's hard being a husband sometimes.
)</font>

Around here me says it's had being a husband all the time /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Ice control "recipe" sand / salt / other?? #13  

My situation differs from yours in two ways: 1) my driveway is about 400 feet long and 2) it is paved. Having said that here is what I do. I built a two compartment storage bin, each side holds just over a cubic yard. I put rock salt in one compatrment and a sand/salt mix in the other. I buy both in bulk a yard at a time. I use straight salt for melting packed snow and the sand/salt mixture for spreading on ice and melting it. I have a Buyers "SUV" spreader mounted on the back of my tractor and it has a shield that limits the width of spray from the spreader to about 10 feet. So as long as I stay about four feet away from the edge of the driveway no salt gets onto the lawn. My driveway is sloped to facilitate runoff going into catch basins and drains.

/ Ice control "recipe" sand / salt / other?? #14  

The chains work well even on ice and I find leaving a little snow on top helps a lot with the traction. Thats whi I always keep the skid shoes about 1/2" high so i don't scrape all the snow away.