Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Ice control "recipe" sand / salt / other??

For a woman the house is a scared abode not to be defiled . I think it has someting to do with the survival of our species.

Egon

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It's hard being a husband sometimes.
    )</font>

Around here me says it's had being a husband all the time [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Kubota F2400

My situation differs from yours in two ways: 1) my driveway is about 400 feet long and 2) it is paved. Having said that here is what I do. I built a two compartment storage bin, each side holds just over a cubic yard. I put rock salt in one compatrment and a sand/salt mix in the other. I buy both in bulk a yard at a time. I use straight salt for melting packed snow and the sand/salt mixture for spreading on ice and melting it. I have a Buyers "SUV" spreader mounted on the back of my tractor and it has a shield that limits the width of spray from the spreader to about 10 feet. So as long as I stay about four feet away from the edge of the driveway no salt gets onto the lawn. My driveway is sloped to facilitate runoff going into catch basins and drains.

Tractor
    Kubota L2500DT w/FEL

The chains work well even on ice and I find leaving a little snow on top helps a lot with the traction. Thats whi I always keep the skid shoes about 1/2" high so i don't scrape all the snow away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12