Default air tool oil

What is your favorite air tool oil?? I used to use air tool oil, now am using marvel mystery oil.. Just wondering what your favorite blend was..

thanks..

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 1050 2wd, Case 580D 2wd

Default Re: air tool oil

I use Marvel air tool oil. I don't really have a reason other than it was on the shelf and it came in a big can.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    L3130

I use Marvel for the most part, sometimes WD-40.

Nothing wrong with using Marvel Mystery Oil that I know of, but like Scott said, they make one specifically for air tools and that's what I used most of the time.

hey bird, I have a brad nailer that says certain oils will eat the seals and o-rings. You think marvel mystery would hurt them??? Or what would you reccomend??

Thanks again..

Can't help with that, Snapper. You'll notice I said nothing wrong with the Marvel Mystery Oil "as far as I know". Perhaps I should have explained further. I've known a lot of people who claimed to never use anything except Marvel Mystery Oil and never had a problem. But the possibility of damaging the seals and o-rings is the reason I stayed with oil sold specifically for air tools. I owned a brad nailer, but never repaired or tore down any of them. However, quite a number of automotive air tools have small pressed in oil seals almost identical to the ones used in the hubs for auto wheel bearings (except much, much smaller). Those can wear out and leak causing a considerable loss of power. In addition, many, many automotive air tools (especially impact wrenches and ratchets) use small rubber or plastic (lot of variety in composition and size) mushroom shaped throttle valves. It was very common to find those crumbled and/or melted. If caught early (when they started leaking a little), they were very simple to replace, but in a lot of cases, that crumbled material was then blown into the air motor where it either locked it up or they melted on the inside of the cylinder requiring complete disassembly, cleaning, honing, and replacement of the vanes.

Now many of the air tool manuals "recommend" occasionally running a tablespoon full of "solvent" through the air intake, followed by air tool oil. I used Varsol and never had a problem, but I suspect a lot of mechanics used some kind of solvent that melted those throttle valves.

Air tool oil itself is supposed to be a "gum solvent" oil and I consider it to be cheap; so why not use it and be sure? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Tractor
    NH TC35D/SUPER H&M/F-20/JD B&D/FORDSON/JD250 SSL

PB BLASTER has an airtool oil in spray cans too.
    Dad grabbed some thinking it was regular Blaster.
    I've been putting it in air tools and semi trailer air lines
    to use it up.