Four Wheel Drive

/ Four Wheel Drive #11  
I miss the slipper clutch my first Boomer had in the 4wd. Left it in all the time and it never "engaged" unless there was a certain amount of mismatch in tire speed between front and rear. You could turn on pavement with no binding, or your lawn without shredding it. It would make for far less wear and tear on the drivetrain if left in 4wd all the time.

/ Four Wheel Drive #12  
I use 4wd ONLY for snow removal, or when I need to back up a steep slope that shifts enough weight forward to unload the rear tires. I don't know why anyone would leave their tractor in 4wd unless they needed the additional traction at the time.

/ Four Wheel Drive #13  
I am usually grading with box blade or root raking, also loading off and on the trailer so I leave it in 4wd except when on pavement I always take it out, but I am on the pavement very little!
I did the same with my last 4wd tractor for 12 years with no problems

/ Four Wheel Drive #14  
2wd most of the time. 4wd only when needed. My ambition always seems to get the better of my ability, so it keeps me from getting myself so deeply mired I can't extricate myself.
-jim

/ Four Wheel Drive #15  
Well as usual I am different from everybody else. Here in WV you cant go more than a few feet in any direction without being on a hill of some degree. I started out putting it in and out as needed but thought I was going to wear the lever out so I just leave the Kubota L4400 and the Kubota BX1500 in 4WD all the time the exception is when I am going onto the hard road. For me it is safer. JMHO

Same here, almost always in 4wd unless traveling on road. Branson, Mo. is just either up or down hill.

James K0UA

/ Four Wheel Drive #16  
4x4 off on the road unless needed for breaking. in the field loading hay always on.

/ Four Wheel Drive #17  
FWA (what a farmer refers to as 4wd) is always a good resale point on a tractor so I always spec it. I use it rarely but I use it for field work to prevent wheel slip and crop damage.

Front wheel assist is a viable option both in resale and for when it's needed.

/ Four Wheel Drive #18  
I use 4 wheel assist only when traversing steep inclines where additional traction is needed.

Actually, this 4 wheel assist is only 2 wheel drive; 1 front tire pulls and 1 rear tire pulls when the 4 wheel assist is engaged.

I guess that technically I could get 3 wheel drive if I locked the rear axle in and had the front wheel assist on.

/ Four Wheel Drive #19  
Lots of hills on my place, so:

For finish mowing - in 4WD before I start and out when I finish

For brush hogging - 2WD

For loader, rear blade, box blade or snow plowing/blowing - 4WD

For pallet forks or boom pole (on the front) - 4WD if on hills, 2WD otherwise

For trailer moving - (with front hitch) 4WD, (with rear hitch) 2WD

So, it depends on the situation for me, however, since most of my hours are spent mowing, I would say I'm in 4WD most of the time...

/ Four Wheel Drive #20  
It's best to leave in 2wd unless you need 4wd. When turning you are forcing one wheel to slip. This puts excessive strain on the drive train. Of course in muddy or snowy condition slipping of the wheels is easy so load on drive train is minimal.

Part of operating a tractor or any equipment is OPERATING it. A tractor is not a "set it and forget it" machine. Running the tractor in 4wd only when needed will save tires, fuel, drive train, and damage to the ground.