Four Wheel Drive

/ Four Wheel Drive #61  
Ballast smallast, steep enough hill and you need 4wd.

Sometimes on here I forget that different people work in different circumstances. For me most of my loader work is done in steep timber land. When I'm on flat/semi flat ground I dont pay so much attention. But when I go into the timber it's 4wd all the way.

The second bolded sentence explains why the first bolded phrase was a foolish thing to write...
No. The 1st sentence is a true statement plain an simple. The fact that some work only on flat ground does not make it foolish. In this case PC seems to be thwarting inference. Failing to exercise your inference capability may be harmful.
larry

/ Four Wheel Drive #62  
The second bolded sentence explains why the first bolded phrase was a foolish thing to write...

Hmmmm,,,, I didn't see anything foolish in my writings. And I certainly didn't call you foolish to imply that a ballast box with enough weight would take care of the described situation.

Must be the weather, there's some testy people on here lately. :D

/ Four Wheel Drive #63  
I use my JD 3520 in 2WD most of the time and only switch to 4WD in places where I would get stuck without it (mud, deep gravel, etc). The tractor handles better in 2 WD and I don't make a mess of the grass or dirt as I do in 4WD.

/ Four Wheel Drive #64  
Hmmmm,,,, I didn't see anything foolish in my writings. And I certainly didn't call you foolish to imply that a ballast box with enough weight would take care of the described situation.

Must be the weather, there's some testy people on here lately. :D

Not at all testy...quite nice here in PA and getting some needed rain...couple beers and I'm off for the weekend.

Your sentence "Sometimes on here I forget that different people work in different circumstances" is quite true and maybe you should reconsider your "Ballast Schmallest" phrase with that in mind.

Ballast does keep the rear tires of my tractor solidly on the ground...even on slopes (mine are fairly mild...10-15 degrees or a bit more). I recommend using ballast on the rear in any and all circumstances if you have anything of weight in the bucket.

The phrase "Ballast Smallest..." is denigrating and , frankly, wrong. Without those rear tires solidly on the ground, you'd lose a good percentage of your braking (mechanical brakes being less effective and engine braking more focused on the front wheels...probably not good. Simple weight transfer, bro...
Would that lead to a loss of control? Higher probability, I suppose...

/ Four Wheel Drive #66  
No. The 1st sentence is a true statement plain an simple. The fact that some work only on flat ground does not make it foolish. In this case PC seems to be thwarting inference. Failing to exercise your inference capability may be harmful.
larry

Larry, it's pretty obvious you're quite opinionated to make such a flat out comment "...true, plain and simple". There isn't much in this world that is plain or simple.
I don't work on flat ground...there isn't a level spot on my property or the area I work for a neighbor. Wish my area was level, actually.

As far as your last two sentences...frankly, I don't know what you're trying to infer. Didn't make any sense to me...

/ Four Wheel Drive #67  
It be flat here in the delta.
I leave mine in 2wd unless I'm doing heavy loader work or trying to creep around a ditch bank or something. I'll put it in 4wd too pulling the disk.
95% of the time in 2WD.

/ Four Wheel Drive #68  
Larry, it's pretty obvious you're quite opinionated to make such a flat out comment "...true, plain and simple". There isn't much in this world that is plain or simple.
I don't work on flat ground...there isn't a level spot on my property or the area I work for a neighbor. Wish my area was level, actually.

As far as your last two sentences...frankly, I don't know what you're trying to infer. Didn't make any sense to me...

Sorry if I offended you Roy. That certainly wasn't my intent. At least I didn't state you were wrong. ;)

You stated that you work on 10-15 degree slope. That's flat to me. And on those slopes I wouldn't worry much about ballast or 4wd.

I simply stated that if the hill is steep enough, ballast will do little to prevent sliding down the hill. Not arguing your use of ballast. Simply inferring physics.

Ballast Smallast, if I'm going down a steep enough hill I use 4wd regardless of what's hanging on the 3pt. :shocked:

Thanks for the fix Larry!!!

/ Four Wheel Drive #69  
There are a lot of terrain variations in my area, so it seems that my tractor is in 4WD most of the time. It feels "safer" keeping it engaged as oppossed to stopping to put it in 4WD if needed. My Subaru has 60K on it and it's AWD, so far no problems. Personally, I think there is probably a slight increase in wear in some components, but if the system is well designed the wear should be minimal vs. the increase in safety. Different situations, different needs.

/ Four Wheel Drive #70  
My 2 cents;

ATV-2 wheel drive unless going through muddy trails, snow, negotiating steep hills when negotiating at a lower speed, towing up hills, racing of the starting line, or plowing snow. My ATV 2 to 4\4 to 2 is just a flip of the switch so it's not a bother. 2 wheel drive will save the front end, your arms, and mpg.

Tractor;
When using BB, Picking up a load with the FEL whie the BH is removed, muddy areas, Snow Removal, Pushing and thats just about all I have exoerienced thus far.