Four Wheel Drive

/ Four Wheel Drive #1  

grainger12002

Platinum Member
Tractor
yanmar 336d w ldr,Cub,many attachments
Any of you leave your tractor or atv in 4wd ? I got sick of going in and out and since my work is off road I am leaving mine in 4wd, just easier and one less thin g to think about,especially handy when mowing and using the loader-

/ Four Wheel Drive #2  
Yeah I leave mine in most of the time, you may notice if you're turning a tight corner on pavement it tends to bind up a little, other than that its ok.

/ Four Wheel Drive #3  
Leave mine in 2WD unless I need to go to 4WD. Think if you leave it in 4WD drive all the time, if not needed, there is extra wear and tear on your 4WD. Just like a vehicle you will also burn a bit more fuel. :)

/ Four Wheel Drive #4  
I only use 4wd on my tractor when it is needed. Any other time its in 2wd. If your tires are not the exact size for the 4wd ratio you will wreck you the clutch that engages it. You will know of they are out because you will feel a clunk every so often when engaged in four wheel drive driving on a hard surface. 4wd is only supposed to be used on soft surfaces. I have heard that the front tires turn slightly faster then the rears.

/ Four Wheel Drive #5  
i dont put mine in 4wd drive unless ive got a heavy load on the loader an rear hay forks or unless im pulling a real heavy load.last winter it stayed in 4wd drive because it stayed wet an muddy most of the year.

/ Four Wheel Drive #6  
Well as usual I am different from everybody else. Here in WV you cant go more than a few feet in any direction without being on a hill of some degree. I started out putting it in and out as needed but thought I was going to wear the lever out so I just leave the Kubota L4400 and the Kubota BX1500 in 4WD all the time the exception is when I am going onto the hard road. For me it is safer. JMHO

/ Four Wheel Drive #7  
Always in 2WD, unless i am pushing snow

/ Four Wheel Drive #8  
Well as usual I am different from everybody else. Here in WV you cant go more than a few feet in any direction without being on a hill of some degree. I started out putting it in and out as needed but thought I was going to wear the lever out so I just leave the Kubota L4400 and the Kubota BX1500 in 4WD all the time the exception is when I am going onto the hard road. For me it is safer. JMHO
I leave my Kubota BX23 and both of the BX1500s in 4WD all the time.

/ Four Wheel Drive #9  
I put mine in 4WD when needed, but I often have to run out on the paved road; don't know enough about the mechanical side to know if leaving it in 4WD is harmful, but if I was always in the hills like other I would probably leave it in.

/ Four Wheel Drive #10  
If I've got good traction (like June til Oct) its normally in 2wd. Ice, mud, snow or loose hills its 4wd. Not that big a deal to shift on my JD4300....just a flick of the heel...