Traction Traction 4x4 vs. 2 wheel drive

/ Traction 4x4 vs. 2 wheel drive #11  
I'm also going to chime in as one of those in favor of 4WD. I almost didn't get it and would have regretted it! When the grass is damp, I can't make it up some of my hills (15 to 30 degree slopes) without 4WD. I can also back up on hills which I would never be able to without 4WD. 4WD also provides extra traction for safety when going down a hill. It's also necessary at times when plowing snow.

/ Traction 4x4 vs. 2 wheel drive #12  
I like your number better, 25% more versus 100%. I just know it's more. And if 25% of tractor weight is on front then it adds up to post above.

/ Traction 4x4 vs. 2 wheel drive #13  
I switch between 2 and 4 when carrying loads to save turf on sharper turns. There are times that I forget to go to 4 when going up a hill and the rears spin. After shifting to 4, I move great. One of the main reasons I got 4wd in my 40hp is that it has infinitely better traction than my father-in-law's old 52hp Ford (that probably weighs 1000lb more than mine and has ag tires.)
I would never have anything other than 4wd for my rolling terrain.
Mark

/ Traction 4x4 vs. 2 wheel drive
Hi,

I don't think it was mentioned yet in this thread...but 4wd on the tractor also helps with stopping.

A 2wd tractor only brakes on the rear wheels...when in 4wd a 4wd brakes on all 4 wheels...something I like on a steep hill or if I do something I shouldn't and the rear wheels get light...while going down... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Traction 4x4 vs. 2 wheel drive #15  
<font color="blue">And if 25% of tractor weight is on front then it adds up to post above.

</font>
If you have an FEL with material in the bucket that number goes up drastically. If I load the bucket in my little Yanmar 1401D, I have a hard time getting around unless I'm in 4WD.

/ Traction 4x4 vs. 2 wheel drive #16  
I am going to add to Henro,

I have a hill that I mow. Because of the slope I have to mow up and down. Yes I can lock in the differential, but even going down hill the tractor will start slipping and tear everything up. I loc in 4 wheel going down the hill every time because I rip it up if I don't. Going down hill you take a lot of the weight off the back and put it on the fronts. I would not go 2wd. Also your resale value would pretty much stink.

The other thing is if your back wheels are in mud, a lot of the times your front wheels may be in a place where there is traction and through the mud we go.

Murph

/ Traction 4x4 vs. 2 wheel drive #17  
Everybody jumps right in on these kinds of questions, don't they? Mostly, people will agree you have more traction with the 4WD, but it's comparably more expensive to buy.

Only thing I might add is whether - putting traction aside - a 30 hp tractor fits your work needs better than a 20 hp one. The bigger one will run a larger mower, for example.

/ Traction 4x4 vs. 2 wheel drive
I love my 4X4 B9200 and it is really great on the rolling hills here in Northern KY. You do need 4wd as much going down hills as going up.
With that said don’t underestimate the types of implements you can put on the tractor. Depending on your area you may be able to borrow or rent implements for a larger tractor. If you can afford to buy all your attachments then that may not be a factor.

Dog

/ Traction 4x4 vs. 2 wheel drive #19  
My .02 worth. I have a 5410 2wd that I have been pleased with for what use it for 90% of the time which is cutting and baling and loading hay. If you plan on using a FEL for anything else get a 4wd. When you have the FEL on it automatically takes weight away from the rears and you loose traction. The FEL does add weight to the front end for hilly ground but also makes it feel tippy when sidling. I also haul a wagon from a field to the top of the ridge and unload the hay. The loss in traction really shows up there when the weight of the loader unloads the rears and I spin. Front brakes would also be nice if I was hauling hay off the ridge with my trailer. What I'm trying to say if you need the hp get what you can afford. If the hp isn't the main issue get the 4wd. Horsepower does you no good if it is just spinning rubber from your tires. If I hadn't been wanting the 4 cylinder I would have downsized and went 4wd. Just my findings though. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Patrick

/ Traction 4x4 vs. 2 wheel drive #20  
I have a 25HP 4x4 tractor(less than 1500 pounds) and a 50HP 2wd tractor(somewhere over 7500 pounds). In some places on my property 4x4 is a must. The 4x4 is light, nimble and can get things done in places the 2wd can't go. However, for brute force applications, the big 2wd wins because it can anchor itself to the ground. Really is a hard call... depends so much on your terrain, the tasks you need to accomplish and your budget.