Where to buy shear pins (5ft Bush Hog rotary cutr)

/ Where to buy shear pins (5ft Bush Hog rotary cutr) #1  

Anonymous Poster

Where online can a person buy Shear pins for a 5ft Bush Hog Rotary cutter, tractor is a 32 hp JD4300.

I'ved used the lowest grade bolt for a temp fix....
John

/ Where to buy shear pins (5ft Bush Hog rotary cutr) #2  
Grade 2 bolts work just fine for me on my post hole digger. You'll probably find that most people use them instead of shear pins.

/ Where to buy shear pins (5ft Bush Hog rotary cutr) #3  
Like Mike said, Grade 2 bolts work just fine.

Can’t say I’m familiar with the Bush Hog design, but my 6' King Kutter and PHD both came with plain 'ol Grade 2 bolts as shear pins (different sizes of course). The manual and decals even go as far as to say "only use grade 2 bolts" when it comes to replacing shear pins. Trust me when I say that they shear off just fine - one of the reasons I put on a slip clutch on my mower. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Save your money & time and go down to the local hardware store and stock up on grade 2 bolts/nuts. I’ve gotten them from Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, & Gebos - but those are just the stores close to me.

/ Where to buy shear pins (5ft Bush Hog rotary cutr) #4  
The Owners Manual for the JD 516 and 616 rotary cutter says...

If shear bolt fails, replace with M8 x 45, 8.8 grade cap screw and lock nut.

I use a slip clutch but maybe this will help.

Billy

/ Where to buy shear pins (5ft Bush Hog rotary cutr) #5  
Hmmm. Interesting BillyP.... Looks like JD is in to the "metric system," eh?

The 8.8 grade in metric terms is closer to a grade 5 in the SAE world. 'Course you can still get 8.8 metric bolts at the local hardware store, selection is just a little more limited. Here's a link comparing english vs. metric bolt strengths if anyone's curious.

PDF comparison - Adobe Acrobat required to view

So Picard335 - what does your Bush Hog manual say?

/ Where to buy shear pins (5ft Bush Hog rotary cutr) #6  
Yeah, it looks that way RanchMan. I did happen to think, I had some shear bolts that came with my tiller. They are 8.8 grade also.

Maybe it's according to what country the part comes from, if it's metric or SAE? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Billy

/ Where to buy shear pins (5ft Bush Hog rotary cutr) #7  
as the other guys have said shear pins are just grade 2 bolts without the fancy name, lot cheaper too.

/ Where to buy shear pins (5ft Bush Hog rotary cutr) #8  
As Billy P said the JD 516/616 manual gives the spec for a bolt you can get at the local hardware ... and that's what I do ... interestingly Billy P, JD no longer makes many parts for those mowers ... I was able to find a stump jumper for my 516 the other day and that has greatly reduced the need for shear pin replacements ..

/ Where to buy shear pins (5ft Bush Hog rotary cutr) #9  
John,

I own a Bush Hog SQ600 (5') rotary mower. The owners manual says to use 8x50mm Gr. 8.8 bolts. I buy them at a local hardware store.

/ Where to buy shear pins (5ft Bush Hog rotary cutr)
Cool, thanks for all the replies.
The older gentleman just looked at me funny when I said shear pins. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thus, no other place in town had them, so I just went with a low grade bolt for a temp fix. Thus began searching online. I plan on purchase a new BH this summer, Chris I see you have the Sq600. How do you like it, I see your tractor

http://www.newholland.com/na/Products/boomer_33_main.html

is in the same range as mine JD4300.

Is that enough for what you do with it? If so do you see any weaknesses in it, would you've gone with a heavier duty, like the Bush Hog model 285, or 305. Did you get a slipper clutch, and chain guards? Sorry for the ?'s.

The one I have now is from the early 80's. Got it used, it works, but it looks like something from WWII, and its a Bush Hog brand to. I'm gonna run a few ads to see if I can drum up some business to do light BH'ing. The one I have now, has a slight vibration in it, not bad but at lower rpm you can tell its there, I don't want to keep using it on my new $$ tractor, I'm afraid I'm gonna wear something out faster. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

John

How do you like it