How to revive an old (very old) blueberry patch

/ How to revive an old (very old) blueberry patch #11  
I have lots of blueberries on my property.

Blueberries come in 2 main forms: low bush and high bush. Both types love acid soil. Both types need a good amount of water, but don't want to be drowning in it. Both types evolved to mainly be pollinated by bumblebees; so you actually want to promote nests of them fairly close by. Both types need a lot of sunlight. A little shade they can handle, heavy shade kills them.

Sounds like you have the low bush variety. They don't normally grow more than a foot high. These are the kind that you get down on your hands and knees, or sit in a clear space and pick. They should be cut to about half their height every couple of years to promote new growth. Low bush tend to be fairly small in size. I've heard some people burning to remove the dead twigs; but fire is a very dangerous tool. Contact your local fire department and have a meeting to discuss those options if you're thinking of burning.

High bush grow to as tall as 8 feet if you let them. Berries are double the size of low bush or even larger. Uncultivated, they only produce large crops every other year. 2 year old stems produce; so if you cut back a third to a half of the older stems each year, you can get a good, steady crop each year.

Heavy rains during blooming season can ruin your crop as it beats down the blossoms and keeps the bees from flying.

There is a variety of tent caterpillar that likes to eat high bush blueberry leaves. Either spray with bug spray, or as I have occasionally, WD-40. (Oil suffocates the little buggers.) I suppose you could try a vegetable based oil which should be more environmentally friendly; but you want to get it inside the nests to reach all the wigglers.

If you have high bush within 100 feet of water, they are in danger from BEAVERS. The bark tastes good to them, and the branches make good dam material. I lost more than 50% of all my bushes by the stream that runs through my property over the past few years. Fencing only slows the rodents down, it doesn't stop them. Trapping or shooting only removes those particular animals, more move into the vacuum; so this is a constant maintenance/management process, not a final solution. Check with your state Fish and Game Departments for regulations on dealing with problem beavers as they are a regulated fur-bearing species in most states.

A tractor with a hoe can clean out a dam in a few minutes. A hoe works good for digging up and transplanting bushes if you're intending to consolidate them. An auger works okay for digging new holes for planting. You can use either a finishing mower, or a hog on low bush plants. Just don't set the cutters too low or you'll scalp them. And if you have 3pt sprayer, you can fertilize and bug kill.

/ How to revive an old (very old) blueberry patch #12  
I raise several varietys of domestic blueberries here. They have shallow roots, and can be spread by pinning branches to the ground and covering with pine needles. I limit my plants to 6 foot tall, as the birds eat a lot..They like acid liquid food, and need a lot of water and bees...to have a big crop...

/ How to revive an old (very old) blueberry patch #13  
This has been a great read guys very helpful. I have just joined up. raised up on a Tenn. farm I now find myself in Md. and have taken on the responsibility of helping a wonderful family in bringing back the old family farm. It hasn't been worked in years but has great potential established but neglected grapes, the same with the blueberries. the ground hasn't been touched in years and not a lick of fence. needless to say an adventure but one I'm already enjoying thoroughly. hope to be able to pick all yall's brains as I go thanks again.

/ How to revive an old (very old) blueberry patch #14  
This has been a great read guys very helpful. I have just joined up. raised up on a Tenn. farm I now find myself in Md. and have taken on the responsibility of helping a wonderful family in bringing back the old family farm. It hasn't been worked in years but has great potential established but neglected grapes, the same with the blueberries. the ground hasn't been touched in years and not a lick of fence. needless to say an adventure but one I'm already enjoying thoroughly. hope to be able to pick all yall's brains as I go thanks again.

First off...welcome to a great place...!
secondly...don't let the fact that you posted to an old thread make a difference...good information is still good information regardless...(there a few folks here that seem to make a deal out of replying to an older thread...)

BTW...If there are more than 5 stalks/canes on the blueberry plants...cut them back to 3 and let 5 come back...

/ How to revive an old (very old) blueberry patch #15  
Blueberries are most productive in FULL SUN but can take a tad of shade.

I have been told there MUST be two varieties for pollination to occur.

Blueberries come in Early, Mid and Late season varieties. For adequate pollination you need two varieties (or more) of SAME SEASON blueberries planted together. If you plant one variety of Early season and one variety of Late season pollination will be poor in most years, because Early/Late flower weeks apart.

We plant Blueberries in 8' X 8' spacing. When plants are mature we can just get a 48" wide sub-compact tractor, with a 3-Pt. mounted Danish S-tine Cultivator, down the alleys in both directions.

We grow organically, so a lot of cultivation in lieu of weed control sprays is required.

For precision around the bushes, a Korean Hoe is particularly good.

http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-9r2bn...n_Hoe_z_3__60265.1439654724.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Grapes require FULL SUN. If grapes are shaded yield will be disappointing and vines prone to fungal disease.

Attachments

• DSC00403.jpg
    DSC00403.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 54
  • DSC00365.jpg
    DSC00365.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
   / How to revive an old (very old) blueberry patch #16  
To revive High bush, follow the advice given previously to cut back the bigger stalks. and by cut back, I mean cut off at the ground. anything bigger than your thumb needs to be cut out.

Even if that leaves only a few stalks to "revive".

Let in the sun, In NH, don't worry about the soil, they will be fine.