Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota 2900

Default Can you have to much grease?

So, I decided to give the Bota a bath today. I can only stand so much dirt. Well I finally got 50 hours of tractor time so I decided to grease the zerks. What I found when I started poking around, was someone was very liberal with the grease before, had to scoop it out to find zerks! I removed total a softball (not telling a tall tale) of grease from the FEL. It had dirt and hay in it. It looked like it had squished out by the tablespoons. Ok, two questions can there be too much grease? And how do I clean it from the paint (it is smeared everywhere)?
    Some folks are lucky to be raised on a farm (with tractors), I am playing catch-up.

Pumkin~Kubota L2900 with bucket AKA FEL
    Abe~Ford250C
    Jack~John Deere 310 B Backhoe (learning to use this summer, so excited!!)
    Rusty Woods Brush Hog (that I lovingly sweep off after every mow, even if the boys laugh at me)
    BEFCO Cyclone finish mower
    AGCO New Idea 3709 Manure Spreader
    Pallet/Round Bale Fork
    Rake
    Fimco 25 gallon ATV sprayer with boom and wand
    Chain fence drag

Wish List:
    Grapple?

Tractor
    Kubota l245dt, l3540, 8N

Default Re: Can you have to much grease?

I would say generally no but with this qualifier! You want to purge all the bad looking grease from any greased joint or bearing. When new grease appears then that is enough. Now if it has a seal and the seal is installed in such a way that it is keeping the grease in and then if you apply to much pressure then you could blow the seal. If the seal is installed to allow the grease to purge, then you can slowly fill the cavity with new grease. A bearing or gearbox that is completely full of grease will run hotter than they normally should be.

A little fule on a shop rag will remove it!
    "keep them pots black, shiny, and full of good Food and Fellowship!"
    Moore Cookie

Tractor
    Ford 1710 & 1600, Kubota G6200, Simplicty 2010, Allis Chalmers B110, Montgomery Wards Squire 9

I usually pump the grease until it starts to flow out of the pin. Anymore just seems to be wasteful. A strong household cleaner might remove the smeared grease. When all else fails, I resort to using a spray carburator cleaner and plenty of rags to clean things.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM186D

Brake parts cleaner (maybe similar to carb, I'm young enough never to have owned a carburated vehicle) is what I've found to be the best for grease. Your case is similar to mine when buying a used tractor, absolutely too much grease everywhere on the FEL, nothing but a greasy mess everywhere, couldn't tell how well the pins were greased.

Tractor
    Kubota 2900

So moored4, it looks like they never cleaned the purged grease up.
    Some folks are lucky to be raised on a farm (with tractors), I am playing catch-up.

Pumkin~Kubota L2900 with bucket AKA FEL
    Abe~Ford250C
    Jack~John Deere 310 B Backhoe (learning to use this summer, so excited!!)
    Rusty Woods Brush Hog (that I lovingly sweep off after every mow, even if the boys laugh at me)
    BEFCO Cyclone finish mower
    AGCO New Idea 3709 Manure Spreader
    Pallet/Round Bale Fork
    Rake
    Fimco 25 gallon ATV sprayer with boom and wand
    Chain fence drag

Wish List:
    Grapple?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    555DTC Farmall 200

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
    I usually pump the grease until it starts to flow out of the pin. Anymore just seems to be wasteful. A strong household cleaner might remove the smeared grease. When all else fails, I resort to using a spray carburator cleaner and plenty of rags to clean things.
    Carb cleaner is very caustic to certain plastics rubber, stickers, decals and sometimes paint. Use some brake clean or some fuel like mentioned above

Tractor
    Ford 1710 & 1600, Kubota G6200, Simplicty 2010, Allis Chalmers B110, Montgomery Wards Squire 9

I'm with you there Clint. I don't like using it if I don't have to. Never thought of using brake cleaner.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Too much grease is better than not enough except to the point it slings on the belts and ruins them. I have always used Mineral Spirits for removing grease. It works very well and have never had any paint damage from it. This is sold at some stores as paint thinner. Just make sure to read the can before buying paint thinner. It must be Mineral Spirits. There are some paint thinners that will harm the paint.
    I used to do the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.

Veteran Member

Actually yes, too much grease ends up on the ground. Best you have the right amount of grease. get the old grease out and new grease in without a glob falling on the ground.

Now if the question can you grease too ofter...I would say no, as long as grease isn't dropping out all over the place.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

kubota calls for greasing the loader at every 10 hours, so I do that or sometimes a few hours less, Yes just grease until the grease starts to come out, wipe up the old, with a rag, Be careful with the solvents, some will take the paint right off. Bug and tar remover wont hurt most paints, (Xylene) dont know about decals, might remove them. I mostly just remove grease with rags. progressing to cleaner ones when they get "loaded". I probably overgrease, because there is meter time that the loader is not in use, but It dont hurt anything.

James K0UA
    James K0UA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner NRA Life Member How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast