Snowblower chute

/ Snowblower chute #1  

snowman

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500HSD
My manual snowblower chute was frozen solid. Couldn't turn it at all. First time that's happened; this is the third winter that I've used it. It's not kept in a heated garage, so it generally does not under go any thawing/refreezing.

Initially got it to move by using a paint removal heat gun on it. Of course, it froze right back up as soon as it cooled down.

Could only turn it with alot of effort by getting off the tractor, sticking a hold punch type tool in the hole where the crank handle slips into the chute "gears" and then rotating it - real paid and not too effective.

As I was snowblowing last night, I was trying to figure out a way to fix this, as it's only mid February and it's not going to warm up enough for a few months to let it thaw and dry all of the moisture out.

It ocurred to me to pour windshield washer fluid over it, as that's good to -25 or so. It worked. I did it last night after I was done clearing the driveway - it freed the crank right up. Played with it before I left this morning and it's still working fine (so did not freeze up again).

Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone else encounters this.

/ Snowblower chute #2  
I keep the base plate of the chute on my snowblower well greased so that it moves easily and does not become frozen.

/ Snowblower chute
I had greased it up quite well in the fall; it was working fine until all of the sudden in was frozen solid.

/ Snowblower chute #4  
I had the same problem with a Lucknow. I had to tap in 4 grease zerts at the chute rotation flange and keep it well greased.

/ Snowblower chute #5  
Ah....the grease fittings sound like a good idea. I haven't had it freeze up yet so I'll take my chances until Spring. When the warmer weather is here, I'll install the zerk fittings.

Until then....I'll try to remember the windshield washer fluid trick.

I love this board.

Thanks,

Rick

/ Snowblower chute #6  
I find when I get moisture like that,I just spray the daylights out of it with WD40. It almost always works for me.(only time it didn't was when my can was about empty.)

/ Snowblower chute
I've had to use the snowblower a few times since I had to unfreeze it - all in single digit or subzero temps. It actually seems to work much better than when I just had the grease on it - is very loose and easy to spin now.

/ Snowblower chute #8  
Maybe a "thinner" grease is in order. At real low temps the grease gets tougher to move.

Did you actually have ice in there somewhere? A good dose of grease should prevent water from entering in the first place.

Glad you got your problem soved, I can see it now. Honey, you need to park the minivan outside, because the snowblower doesn't like the cold weather. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif That would certainly get me "the look", probably a few choice words to boot /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif