Mowing OSHA is watching

/ OSHA is watching #1  

ctbigman

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mf2610tlb
With government deficits such a poular topic, many agencies are looking to increase revenue to justify their budgets. One of my commercial mowing customers was fined by OSHA today for not having the deflectors on his mower decks. An OSHA agent just pulled up to his jobsite and wrote the citations for $375 per mower. He would have written citations for the string trimmers on the trailer but they were not in use. The contractor has no recourse or appeal according to the agent. Just an FYI...

/ OSHA is watching #2  
At first I want to say this action by OSHA is pure nonsense....but after a little thought, it very well could prevent a serious injury to an innocent bystander.....now we would be talking nonsense!

/ OSHA is watching #3  
With government deficits such a poular topic, many agencies are looking to increase revenue to justify their budgets. One of my commercial mowing customers was fined by OSHA today for not having the deflectors on his mower decks. An OSHA agent just pulled up to his jobsite and wrote the citations for $375 per mower. He would have written citations for the string trimmers on the trailer but they were not in use. The contractor has no recourse or appeal according to the agent. Just an FYI...

Now the property owner will have to mow more often to keep from having the windrow effect caused by the deflector. Ken Sweet

/ OSHA is watching #4  
Interesting, I was told by an OSHA employee at a safety seminar that OSHA does not hand out fines. There sole perpose is to point out potential safety concerns and then how you deal with them are up to you. He indicated that quite frequenly these reports are also reviewed by your insurance companies and these blood suckers use this as an excuse to raise your premiums.

Roy

/ OSHA is watching #5  
The contractor has no recourse or appeal according to the agent.

The contractor can appeal, although probably not worth it.

Interesting, I was told by an OSHA employee at a safety seminar that OSHA does not hand out fines.

Not true at all. Their bark wouldn't have much bite if that was the case.

/ OSHA is watching #6  
I just removed my deflector, as it was too bent up put back into the down position (where I never ran it), and I could not get to the grease zirk (my only motivation to lower it). They'll have to catch me.

/ OSHA is watching #7  
This is nothing new. I used to be in charge of asbestos removal at a power plant. Had a decent relationship with the Department of Health and Environment, who was the state agency responsible for administering the OSHA regs. Before a removal job I would call the contractor and DHE to site and walk down the job before we started work and make sure everything was acceptable.

Fast forward and the person I was dealing with retired. Had a job coming up and called the lady who was now doing this job. Told her I wanted to have a job walk. She said they will not do that any more, but they will come on site to try to find things we were doing wrong so they can assess fines.

I asked her how that was supposed to protect workers from exposure. I was told in no uncertain terms that protecting the workers came a distant second to generating revenue from fines.

and people wonder why I'm jaded toward government.:D

/ OSHA is watching #8  
Harry Tuttle said:
We're all in this together.
6a0120a85dcdae970b014e5f3930af970c-800wi

/ OSHA is watching #9  
Interesting, I was told by an OSHA employee at a safety seminar that OSHA does not hand out fines. There sole perpose is to point out potential safety concerns and then how you deal with them are up to you. He indicated that quite frequenly these reports are also reviewed by your insurance companies and these blood suckers use this as an excuse to raise your premiums.

Roy

Someone told you wrong....! I've PAID several OSHA fines. They point out "potential safety concerns" OK.....Then they give you the option of shutting down and FIXING those "concerns" or face MORE fines and MORE action.

In my case, the appeals process would have been significantly more expensive than simply paying the fine, and most likely, the appeal would have been denied anyway. (legal fees, paying "expert witness', ect)

And let me assure you, they DO NOT give you the option of "how you deal with them"....They have well defined regulation on exactly how you'll go about remedying violations of their rather detailed codes. You do it THEIR way or find yourself in WAY over your head....BTDT, just now getting the footprints off my butt....!

OSHA has levied some HUMONGOUS fines to several companies in the coal mining industry, as well as the oil industry. Here's just one example of their powers to fine...

BP handed largest OSHA fine, $87.4M - UPI.com.

Last edited: