Kids using tractors

/ Kids using tractors #1  

BigE_

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC33D, LT4000
My son wanted to use the backhoe the other day, so I found a place where he couldn't do much damage and let him have his fun.

I took the RPMs all the way down to idle and then stood back and watched. After about 5 minutes of trying to figure out the controls he started to get them down. Here's a video

My son on the backhoe for the first time - Tractor Videos - Kubota, John Deere, New Holland and More

[youtube_browser]hkuzxGBJYbk[/youtube_browser]
My-son-on-the-backhoe-for-the-first-time

/ Kids using tractors #2  
My son wanted to use the backhoe the other day, so I found a place where he couldn't do much damage and let him have his fun.

I took the RPMs all the way down to idle and then stood back and watched. After about 5 minutes of trying to figure out the controls he started to get them down. Here's a video

My son on the backhoe for the first time - Tractor Videos - Kubota, John Deere, New Holland and More

[youtube_browser]hkuzxGBJYbk[/youtube_browser]
My-son-on-the-backhoe-for-the-first-time

I started when I had to stand up to press the clutch and brakes or change gears on a 35 Ferguson. Both my boys started at about that age. Seat belt fastened would be good idea. Ken Sweet

/ Kids using tractors #3  
I think that is awsome. I think you will recieve some critacism however I feel strongly that you are teaching life skills that too many people lack these days. Good luck to you and your son.

/ Kids using tractors #4  
As long as you are standing nearby coaching, like you were, I think it is good for him. Just make sure you don't leave the keys in it when your gone. :)

/ Kids using tractors #5  
Cool and thats how its done ... I can remember my days on the H and M Farmall... a good start for me and your son ... keep it up!!

/ Kids using tractors #6  
times are changing.. ;)

I can remember wanting some candy from the corner store and my dad saying the keys were inthe tractor and a bunch of my cousins and me would pile up on the old tractor.. someone steering.. a couple on each running board.. someone on the brakes and clutch.. a couple on the fenders.. etc.. :)

drive down the dirt road to the 'black top' then to the store. passing only a single redlamp at the intersection where the store was. ony traffic you saw was some kinfolk in an old truck waving as they passed...

soundguy

/ Kids using tractors #7  
Thats gonna lead to Zackly syndrome. As in thats zackly how I started.. I posted a pic of me running a 310 Deere tlb when I was 10 in another forum and shoulda had my fire protection gear on as the flamethrowers were lit.

I think sheltering kids like alot do makes them more dependent. I have a friend that was raised sheltered and cant even change a tire or jump start a car. Or like my wife her mother kept her so sheltered that she didnt get her driving liscence till she was 18. Took a long time to get he to go an a 50 mile trip on her own.

/ Kids using tractors #8  
yep.. I had to teach half my friends how to do brakes and oil changes.. etc..

soundguy

/ Kids using tractors #9  
The same hand eye relationship is said to exist on a backhoe as computer games controls. (according to my oldest son).. ;)

The mother of one of my youngest son's buddies (about 8 yrs old) phoned us up one night to explain why he wasn't allowed to swim in our pool when he came over. It seems that she was terrified of him drowning so had never let him take swimming lessons, just telling him to stay away from the creeks and ponds...Didn't have the heart to tell her that my wife had loaned him a bathing suit months ago.....He had been spending hours in our pool every day, shallow end, deep end, didn't matter to him.

/ Kids using tractors #10  
Around here, we start 'em as soon as they can sit in the seat and reach the floor. Same goes with farm trucks.