herbicide dye marker

/ herbicide dye marker #1  

pokerboy57

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
I want to find a blue or other color dye to add to the gallons of roundup I spot spray for weed control. anybody what this dye is ? I tried food coloring and it doesn't work. What is it that they us on golf courses ?

/ herbicide dye marker #2  
   / herbicide dye marker #3  
Farm supply dealers like Tractor Supply, etc., carry the stuff. I usually also add a contact surfactant (it's probably just liquid detergent :D) that helps the spray stick to the foliage. This seems to help with certain weeds whose leaves tend to shed water droplets (poison ivy, for example).

/ herbicide dye marker #4  
Most farm & home type stores will carry that type of dye. Grandad4 is correct about the surfactant helping with some types of weeds.

/ herbicide dye marker
and now I know. Thanks everyone for your replys.

/ herbicide dye marker #6  
The dye will help you see where you have sprayed, but be forewarned, you will have it all over you... shoes, hands, etc.! If you ever spill even a small amount in a toolbox it will continue to show up on things for a long time... it is so concentrated that just a drop will make a big stain when water, sweat, etc. hit it. No matter how careful I was with the stuff, it still showed up when I didn't want it to... got to the point I quit using it. I know many will laugh at this post, but I bet many others can relate to what I'm saying!

/ herbicide dye marker #7  
I originally used the marker dye that TSC sells ....... but it was expensive (around $20/QT)

Here's what I switched to, based on a suggestion from fellow TBN'er Pineridge, who has a pond:

Blue Bayou Pond Colorant

Treats up to 1 1/4 million gallons ..... :laughing:

/ herbicide dye marker #8  
I have used these guys. I have had blue and now on a red kick...
By the way, mixing red and blue gives you a yucky purple that can't be seen on the foliage.
Solarogen, LLC :: Marker Tints

Attachments

• Spraying Roundup .jpg
    Spraying Roundup .jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 2,282
   / herbicide dye marker #9  
The dye will help you see where you have sprayed, but be forewarned, you will have it all over you... shoes, hands, etc.! If you ever spill even a small amount in a toolbox it will continue to show up on things for a long time... it is so concentrated that just a drop will make a big stain when water, sweat, etc. hit it. No matter how careful I was with the stuff, it still showed up when I didn't want it to... got to the point I quit using it. I know many will laugh at this post, but I bet many others can relate to what I'm saying!

Yep. Fortunately, it's water soluble and fades fairly quickly also. I like to use neoprene gloves and I'm not too fussy about measuring the dye to the nearest gram so there's less opportunity for me to make a mess. Rinsing the tank is another story, though.

/ herbicide dye marker #10  
Ha, that looks like my hand a few weeks ago..Like ...Chevy chase in airplane toilet..