Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3320

Default herbicide dye marker

I want to find a blue or other color dye to add to the gallons of roundup I spot spray for weed control. anybody what this dye is ? I tried food coloring and it doesn't work. What is it that they us on golf courses ?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    GC2310,

Default Re: herbicide dye marker

Here is what I use:

Turf Marker Blue Select Spray Dye - Replaces Terramark - 1 Gallon [TMBS] - $39.95 : KeystonePestSolutions.com

When I spray round up I only put about 3-4 oz. in 25 gallons of solution. That gives it just enough blue to be able to see where it is.

You probably will, and can, use a lot more.

When I spray crabgrass preventive It takes 1 oz. per gallon. Because it is not a transparent product.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 & BX2230, Farmall Super M, Super A

Farm supply dealers like Tractor Supply, etc., carry the stuff. I usually also add a contact surfactant (it's probably just liquid detergent ) that helps the spray stick to the foliage. This seems to help with certain weeds whose leaves tend to shed water droplets (poison ivy, for example).

Tractor
    Kubota L5240

Most farm & home type stores will carry that type of dye. Grandad4 is correct about the surfactant helping with some types of weeds.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3320

and now I know. Thanks everyone for your replys.

Tractor
    kubota L3400HST

The dye will help you see where you have sprayed, but be forewarned, you will have it all over you... shoes, hands, etc.! If you ever spill even a small amount in a toolbox it will continue to show up on things for a long time... it is so concentrated that just a drop will make a big stain when water, sweat, etc. hit it. No matter how careful I was with the stuff, it still showed up when I didn't want it to... got to the point I quit using it. I know many will laugh at this post, but I bet many others can relate to what I'm saying!
    L3400HST, L463 FEL, Markham toothbar, Markham Grapple, Woods BH80-X, 5 1/2' United box blade,6' Leinbach scrape blade, Pallet forks, 5' King Kutter RM, 56" First choice tiller, Leinbach rake

Tractor
    Kubota B2910, Simplicity 18 CFC, Cub Cadet 782

I originally used the marker dye that TSC sells ....... but it was expensive (around $20/QT)

Here's what I switched to, based on a suggestion from fellow TBN'er Pineridge, who has a pond:

Blue Bayou Pond Colorant

Treats up to 1 1/4 million gallons .....

Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

I have used these guys. I have had blue and now on a red kick...
    By the way, mixing red and blue gives you a yucky purple that can't be seen on the foliage.
    Solarogen, LLC :: Marker Tints
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -spraying-roundup-jpg  
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 & BX2230, Farmall Super M, Super A

Quote Originally Posted by westbrooklawn View Post
    The dye will help you see where you have sprayed, but be forewarned, you will have it all over you... shoes, hands, etc.! If you ever spill even a small amount in a toolbox it will continue to show up on things for a long time... it is so concentrated that just a drop will make a big stain when water, sweat, etc. hit it. No matter how careful I was with the stuff, it still showed up when I didn't want it to... got to the point I quit using it. I know many will laugh at this post, but I bet many others can relate to what I'm saying!
    Yep. Fortunately, it's water soluble and fades fairly quickly also. I like to use neoprene gloves and I'm not too fussy about measuring the dye to the nearest gram so there's less opportunity for me to make a mess. Rinsing the tank is another story, though.

Tractor
    kubota L3000dt, ford 8n1952

Ha, that looks like my hand a few weeks ago..Like ...Chevy chase in airplane toilet..
    Okay, Legal disclaimer: Old but not senile, definitely do not have the answer to everything!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast