Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tractor
    NH TC33D

Default Re: 12 sticks of dynomite and a wild day

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( somebody dumped pounds of C4, detonators,
    and old dynamite.)</font>

You gotta wonder what kinda idiot would do something like that! Makes you question whether it would even bother them if they saw on the news one day where someone was blown to bits while playing with abandoned explosives.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4700

Steve,

A few years ago I was figuring out how to move stumps. Long
    story some what short I talked to a guy cracking rock along
    a road and his boss. It is still legal for you and I to buy and
    use dynomyte. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Not sure we should use it but I can get
    it! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The hard part was the transportation side. Storing it was
    easy for me. I have enough land to meet the requirements
    for the largest storage facility the ATF regs mentioned.
    Which is scary. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Course the smart thing was to just
    buy enough to use in one day so you did not have to store
    the stuff.

The hard part was finding a place to sell you the stuff. For
    liability reaons the few companies that have the stuff wont
    sell it to the public.

I never did buy any. I ran the numbers and it just was not a
    smart way to spend money.

I really suprised me that I could get the stuff....

Later,
    Dan

Tractor
    2000 B7500HSD Kubota, 2 Case ingersol 448 tractors

When I was a kid my dad decided to enlarge the crawl space under the house. When he crawled under the house he found a keg. He couldn't tell what it was under the house. He brought it out from under the house and found that he had a full keg of black powder. It was under there from before he bought the house. Shook him and mom up. He took it to the woods and poured it out and lit it off. Just a big poof and a lot of smoke.

Tractor
    L3710DT, 4wd, R4's

You should've bought a case of beer and went fishing [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Just a little Alabama redneck humor [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Kubota L3650/AC B210

Dan,

When I was a kid, I believe my dad was getting it at the local hardware store. Most of them had it then. The rule changes required the stuff be stored away from the building. Most of the hardware stores didn't have enough land for storage, so they stopped carrying it.

Steve

Tractor
    Deposit on JD 4110 (04/26/2002)-Delivered 06/29/2002

The stick powder can sweat nitro. Give you a good headache and turn your pee florescent orange.

The detonators are a problem. I would NOT connect them to the blasting machine (unless you want a nickname like "Lefty"). Tape them (side prime) to a #6 cap and fuse. If it was me I'd shoot them on the surface so I could go back to visually determine if they all detonated.

BTW put all animals away before lighting the fuse as they will sometimes follow the smoking end of the burning fuse (unless you want a dog with the nickname "No Head").

The cap delay elements are powder and lead so you might want to pick up that stuff up after they are shot.

Good Luck.
    Pilgrim.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

Maybe someone else was planning on enlarging the crawl space under the house, but couldn't finish the job [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Tractor
    John Deere Model 670

This reminds me of a spectacular 4th of July about 60 years ago--more or less. My dad--a farmer in South Dakota--splurged and purchased a "big event" for the 4th. A paper cylinder was to be fastened to a post, the fuse lit, and after the explosion a little lead man was supposed to come floating down hanging from a parachute. The darn thing fizzled and dad was pretty ticked off; he had spent big bucks on this. So off he went to the garage and got the can of blasting powder (for stumps), reloaded the tube and carefully reinserted the figure and parachute on top. However, there was a slight miscalculation and after the fuse burned down there was a "Kaboom" and the only thing we could find were tiny bits of paper from the cylinder. We never did find the little man or remnants of the parachute. It did turn out to be one of our more memorable fourths.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12