Tires Filling Tires

/ Filling Tires #1  

marxman

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200
All,

If you want to get your rear tires filled is that something that has to be done at the dealership when you buy the tractor? Or is it something that they can do at a later date? Basically I'm not sure if the work I'm going to do warrants filled tires so I was going to buy my tractor without them filled.... If after a year I decide they should be filled is it an easy thing to do?

Thanks

/ Filling Tires #2  
When I got my first tractor, it came to me with foamed tires. I feared not a nail. There is no telling what skewers lurk around here in the grass and weeds. I would like to get the tires of my new tractor foamed, if just for the peace of mind.

/ Filling Tires #3  
All,

If you want to get your rear tires filled is that something that has to be done at the dealership when you buy the tractor? Or is it something that they can do at a later date? Basically I'm not sure if the work I'm going to do warrants filled tires so I was going to buy my tractor without them filled.... If after a year I decide they should be filled is it an easy thing to do?

Thanks

You can do it yourself. NAPA has the hardware (part #90-234, a few bucks). Around here it never freezes, so plain water is all I need. Position the valve stem so it's at its highest level. Put a jack stand under the rear axle and deflate the tire by removing the valve stem. Attach a garden hose to the NAPA adapter and fill the tire 2/3 full of fluid. Replace the valve stem and air up the tire to the desired pressure.

If you have to use a more exotic fluid (windshield washer fluid, beet juice (aka Rimguard), etc), you'll need to rig some type of filling rig. Search TBN for threads that discuss this topic.

Good luck.

/ Filling Tires #4  
As mentioned, you can do it or have it done any time. We have several older tractors my brothers use almost exclusively for bush hogging that don't have filled tires. Everything we use in the hills has weights or filled tires except for our 2305 used solely for mowing.

/ Filling Tires #5  
You can do it yourself. NAPA has the hardware (part #90-234, a few bucks). Around here it never freezes, so plain water is all I need. Position the valve stem so it's at its highest level. Put a jack stand under the rear axle and deflate the tire by removing the valve stem. Attach a garden hose to the NAPA adapter and fill the tire 2/3 full of fluid. Replace the valve stem and air up the tire to the desired pressure.

If you have to use a more exotic fluid (windshield washer fluid, beet juice (aka Rimguard), etc), you'll need to rig some type of filling rig. Search TBN for threads that discuss this topic.

Good luck.

Just pour your anti freeze into the hose then connect to the spigot and fill the tire.

/ Filling Tires #6  
I called over in town a while back to a tire store and asked what they would charge to fill my tires if I brought the tractor to them. $25 per tire plus the methanol. And the amount of methanol was the same cost I could get it for and do the job myself. I already have the valve stem adapter and a drill pump. So I could do the job myself or pay an extra $50 to have it done. Plus I would have to drive the tractor 3 miles to town and then back home.
So I plan on doing this myself. You can get the adapter at TSC for about $8 or so and get a drill pump from one of the big box stores for a few dollars. Time consuming to do but not difficult.
For me the deciding factor was driving to town and back on the tractor. I could just take the tires and rims but that's too heavy for me to deal with.

Pooh Bear

/ Filling Tires #7  
It's easy enough to do yourself, but you may want to consider whether you're going to want a tube inside the tire. 90% or more of today's tractors have tubeless tires. If you use anything corrosive as ballast (calcium chloride for example) you will want to use a tube to save the rim from corrosion.

Sean

/ Filling Tires #8  
   / Filling Tires #9  
Just pour your anti freeze into the hose then connect to the spigot and fill the tire.

You're going to be putting about 25-30 gallons of water-antifreeze mix in each tire. It will make for a long day disconnecting and re-connecting the hose every time.

Sean

/ Filling Tires #10  
You can do it anytime. If you decide to it, there are charts on the net that tell the quantity of fluid needed for a given size. I filled the tires on my EX3200 in about two hours using the NAPA/TSC adapter, a 55 gallon drum, a 110V submersible pump that has a garden hose outlet, a garden hose, and a jack. They were filled with windshield wiper fluid from Walmart. The two hours does not include the time to get materials together.