What's next step after a rollover?

/ What's next step after a rollover? #1  

TRR

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L235
I got a call about 8:30 this morning that my tractor had been rolled. Fortunately no one got hurt and there is only superficial damage as far as I can tell. A little bent sheet metal and some leaked battery acid. However, I can't tell if anything happened internally. The shops are closed until tuesday. Any one know what needs to be checked before trying to restart the tractor? So far all I've done it turn it right side up and tow it out of the creek to the top of the hill.

Attachments

• IMG_3001.jpg
    IMG_3001.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 914
   / What's next step after a rollover? #2  
I would tow it back to an good area where you can really inspect everything. Check all fluids. If everything checked out I would start it, and begin to slowly operate all the systems. If all the systems check out I would then do the equivalent of a 50hr service.

HS

/ What's next step after a rollover? #3  
clean the seat :)

let it set..

and if it was me.. I'd pull the injectors or glow plugs so i could roll it over and make sure no oil made it to the cyls

of course check all fluids and filters.. look for crushed hard lines and pinched hoses.. broken fittings and wires..

hose off bat acid and neutralize with baking soda.. check battery .. refill.. recharge see if it survived.

look at steering linkages for bents..belts, hoses

check wheel hubs, axles and final drive sumps.

check all operator controls.

check rops/fops for deformation or damage at mount points.

check castings for cracks

soundguy

/ What's next step after a rollover? #4  
I came across this article re: a roll over.

For future consideration for you or anyone else who experiences a roll over; it is EXTREMELY important to understand that if the tractor has been on its side for more that a short duration that oil from the crankcase can get past the piston rings and pool up in the combustion chamber. If a start attempt is made and enough oil (and it does not take much) has accumulated in the combustion chamber; it is possible to bend a connecting rod or worse cause very serious damage to the engine. The blue smoke you noted on the start up is evidence that some oil had begun to accumulate in the combustion chamber. If a tractor has been on its side for many hours or days, it is highly recommended to let the tractor set upright for a few days or at least verify that the engine will HAND crank over without hydro locking. The oil will not compress and if enough oil is present in the combustion chamber upon a start attempt, something WILL give.

/ What's next step after a rollover? #5  
Sound guy, you cracked me up with your first astute comment! Almost had to clean mine. Thanks for the laugh.

/ What's next step after a rollover? #6  
hey.. it happens!

soundguy

/ What's next step after a rollover?
Thanks, I knew about the crankcase oil getting past the rings which is why I haven't started it. It lay on it's side for about 2 hours before I got it upright. I'll check all the things Soundguy mentioned and will wait until Tuesday and talk to the shop about the injectors - that's beyond what I'm willing to take on at this point. Until then it'll just sit.

/ What's next step after a rollover? #8  
May we always keep the rubber side down.

/ What's next step after a rollover? #9  
TRR, don't know anything about your operation but it sounds like you've got some people running your tractor for you. Yes?

Anyway, taking a "forensic" eye to the tractor as it is in the pic. What was the operator trying to do? I see the loader is raised above hood level thus raising it's center of gravity and increasing the chance of just such a thing. It's obviously loose dirt with some pits, digs, and angles to traverse. I see the excavator in the background.

Just me, but, it looks like the driver was trying to work around the excavator and decided to skirt that cut with the loader raised too high on the shifty ground.....and over he went.

I dunno, just what I kinda see from the pic......

/ What's next step after a rollover? #10  
I'm ready at a split second's notice to drop any load. I feel so good when that rear wheel is back on the ground. I can pick the load back up, or leave it where it lays.

It's grand that no one was hurt.