Tractor
    Kubota L245DT

Default NH 450 sickle bar

i purchased a use NH 450 sickle. i have a kubota L245. i was cutting a field and the bottom connecting shaft busted. temp fixed it and it did the same thing to the other side of that shaft. the pto is in 1st so is running at 540 rpm's, the tractor is running in 1st (the tach is broke) at about 2/3 power. any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Tractor
    05' JD 790 - 49' Ford 8n - 53' Ford NAA - 70' Massey Fergusen 135 diesel - 1950 John Deere MC - 1992 Thomas T-83 skid steer

Default Re: NH 450 sickle bar

I am not familiar with the NH 450 but if it has the old wooden pitman arm thats common, otherwise it sounds as if the sickle sections are binding in the gaurds or guides. I have an old JD and recently tried some of the sickle section bolts, they do not fit through the original guide clips.
    check us out at www.tessiersfarm.com

Tractor
    2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

Quote Originally Posted by rkaurich View Post
    i purchased a use NH 450 sickle. i have a kubota L245. i was cutting a field and the bottom connecting shaft busted. temp fixed it and it did the same thing to the other side of that shaft. the pto is in 1st so is running at 540 rpm's, the tractor is running in 1st (the tach is broke) at about 2/3 power. any explanation would be greatly appreciated.
    My Massey Ferguson 31 sicklebar looks similar to your 450, but I can't help until you post photos showing the mower and the shafts that are failing.

-dscf0049-small-jpg-dscf0057-small-jpg

Tractor
    Kubota L245DT

Hi, thanks for your reply, i am going to try and put the pic's on here. the first photo should be of the unit itself, the second one is of a rod assembly that is in a triangle shape (upside down) the bottom rod has broken twice. the unit has been used on this field before by the previous owner with no problems (just our luck i guess) we did grease all fittings. when we fixed it the first time we ran it in the driveway and no problem. the first time before it broke we went around a 3 acre field one time, the second time only about 500 feet. ??? thanks again for your advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -imag0114-jpg   -imag0115-jpg  

Tractor
    Kubota L245DT

sorry, wrong pic's, let's try it again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -imag0011-jpg   -imag0012-jpg  

Tractor
    Kubota L245DT

i am not an idiot, really
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -imag0010-jpg   -imag0011-jpg  

Gold Member
    Tractor
    '07 KuBoTa B7800 and Jinma 254

i am not an idiot, really

It's good that you cleared that up.

You didn't say what you were attempting to cut but I used to have an old Ford sickle bar that was less complex than yours yet seemed too lightduty to cut more than grass or dry hay. Most any time it came into brambles, thistles, or wet areas some darned thing or other would either toss it's belt, bend or get misaligned, or just jam up.

I liked the idea of the tool but finally decided that it wasn't for me and the unpredictable fields I needed to cut. Also whenever I tried to use it to cut over the ditches along our driveway it would get bogged up in berries or hit some invisible down branch or something else left over from the winter.

Left me knowing the likely reasons they don't make those contraptions anymore.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2320 John Deere 318

sorry, wrong pic's, let's try it again.
    No you're not, I enjoyed all the non-sickle bar pics. Kinda breaks it up a little.