Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Default Re: Need Help; Setting Granite Step

Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    We build alot of patios in my business and generally use a plate compactor and mason's sand both as a bed and in the cracks after setting. No problems or issues with the sand, curious why you need to use the polymeric sand and what benefits you feel you are getting for the increased cost?
    In my locale we have several different colors available and can usually get something to match for around $25/ton.
    I'm curious if at least part of the recommendation has to do with the climate? I'm guessing New Mexico doesn't have as much of a problem with ice, so keeping water out from between the pavers isn't as important. Same with the extra bond strength resisting frost movement to some extent. Maybe I'm way off?
    --
    Bobcat CT225
    middle buster, three-point forks, chain-on brush forks
    "borrowed" drag & disc stored at my house

Elite Member
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    (B2620, had BX22) Simplicity Legacy w/48" mmm

Around here, folks often use stone dust since weeds don't seem to grow in it at all, and that can be a problem with mason's sand, etc. Of course around here is like jungle compared to the Southwest.
    B2620,Loaded R-4's , Wallenstein BX42 chipper, Bush Hog SQ148 RC, 4' x 8' chain harrow, Blizzard 54" 3PT snowblower, Tirechains. com v-bar duo grip chains (hate them), Simplicity Legacy with 48"mmm, turbo collector, Country Line carry all, Countryline Middlebuster, Woods 48" BB, Kubota QA for loader, Kubota forks, Kuhn EL23 rototiller, and more to come...

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

You guys might be right about the difference the climate makes it has been so dry here that the ground is similar to flour. I was looking at a flagstone job today where the stones are getting loose because the ground is shrinking around the stones.

Tractor
    John Deere 770

The granite step is on ice as of RIGHT NOW.

Getting some melting and any adjustments with the pry bar have been a piece of cake.
    JD770 '92 4x4 SMC FEL JD Ballast Box 6' CountyLine Back Blade 6' CountyLine Rake CountyLine CarryAll
    64" Frontier Snowblower

Favorite Color....Green

The sky was yellow and the sun was blue.

Tractor
    John Deere 770

JD770 '92 4x4 SMC FEL JD Ballast Box 6' CountyLine Back Blade 6' CountyLine Rake CountyLine CarryAll
    64" Frontier Snowblower

Favorite Color....Green

Tractor
    53 Cub, 70's JD 410, Kioti 25hst

That is very cool! I thought the poster was joking at first!
    Kioti CK 25 Hydro: box blade, brush hog, rake, roto-till, grapple, bucket forks, de-stump cyl, Wallenstein Chipper
    John Deere 410 Backhoe Loader: 25 hoses ready to blow

Thus by the beneficence of Providence, we shall behold our empire arising, founded on justice and the voluntary consent of the people, and giving full scope to the exercise of those faculties and rights which most ennoble our species.

Samuel Adams

Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

I'm still digesting the ice idea, But obviously it works. I just wouldn't have the patience to wait for it to melt to finish the job.

But it reminds me of a trick the old time plumbers would do. If they had to sweat a joint and couldn't get the water to stop dripping through it, they would pack bread in the pipe to stop the water long enough to solder the fitting. After a little while the bread would dissolve and allow the water to free flow.
    Now they have these nifty little expanding plugs they can slide right in thru the fitting to stop the water.

Nice looking patio and step BTW

JB
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

Tractor
    John Deere 770

Well, it took roughly 5 and a half hours for the ice to melt....too long. But, it was nearly effortless to shimmy the step into place throughout the day.

If I had to do it all again I think I would use some small blocking with a couple of pinch bars.

Boy, am I glad that project is behind me. Next.....
    64" Frontier Snowblower

Favorite Color....Green

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by JB4310 View Post
    I'm still digesting the ice idea, But obviously it works. I just wouldn't have the patience to wait for it to melt to finish the job.

But it reminds me of a trick the old time plumbers would do. If they had to sweat a joint and couldn't get the water to stop dripping through it, they would pack bread in the pipe to stop the water long enough to solder the fitting. After a little while the bread would dissolve and allow the water to free flow.
    Now they have these nifty little expanding plugs they can slide right in thru the fitting to stop the water.

Nice looking patio and step BTW

JB

A friend of mine in Las Vegas invented the Jet Sweat tools you speak of, they work pretty well but sometimes you still have to use bread. Usually the bread will blow out within a few moments when you turn the water back on. The Jet Sweats can hold back normal city water pressure though.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by JDGreenGrass View Post
    Well, it took roughly 5 and a half hours for the ice to melt....too long. But, it was nearly effortless to shimmy the step into place throughout the day.

If I had to do it all again I think I would use some small blocking with a couple of pinch bars.

Boy, am I glad that project is behind me. Next.....

Good job, at least it is done and no marks. Hope the wind doesn't blow it away.

If I were to use ice it would be more along the size of ice cubes not blocks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast