Need Help; Setting Granite Step

/ Need Help; Setting Granite Step #1  

JDGreenGrass

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 770
Call for help here....

I just installed a cobblestone patio at the front of my home. Today I compact the blocks and then add polymeric sand to the joints, wet, and bingo...Done.!!.......Well, sort off.:confused2:.....

I need to set a 4' by 2' granite step at the front door. It weighs some where around 300lbs. I can get under it as it sits right now on blocks. I figure to use 2 straps to pick it up with the bucket and move it into place but, what do I do once it is lowered onto the straps.??....How do I set it in place.??

Wish I had forks.....

/ Need Help; Setting Granite Step #3  
Some pieces of pvc pipe and as Egon mentions blocks of wood and pinchbar.

I use forks to get them close but still use the old methods for positioning large slabs of stone as they can be easily broken.

/ Need Help; Setting Granite Step
Some pieces of pvc pipe and as Egon mentions blocks of wood and pinchbar.

I use forks to get them close but still use the old methods for positioning large slabs of stone as they can be easily broken.

Easily broken.??!!!!.....Oh no.!!

That peice of rock cost me 250 bucks.!!

That's what I need....a good long pinch bar.:thumbsup:

Thanks.

/ Need Help; Setting Granite Step #5  
I lowered mine in with forks (it is a bit easier than the bucket but hey of u have the bucket it will work fine), just use a "digging bar" (long steel bar with a flat end), and a log or big rock as a lever point. Lift one side a wee little bit, slip the strap out, then do the other side. The bar will also let you lever the slab into place. We just sat a 1345# concrete slab this way, leverage is your friend!

/ Need Help; Setting Granite Step #6  
You could use the straps, set the granite on some chunks of ice, remove straps and wait for ice to melt....

/ Need Help; Setting Granite Step #7  
[QUOTEYou could use the straps, set the granite on some chunks of ice, remove straps and wait for ice to melt....[/QUOTE]

Five Stars for that idea.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ Need Help; Setting Granite Step
You could use the straps, set the granite on some chunks of ice, remove straps and wait for ice to melt....

Wow.....What a great idea from a great mind.!!

With my luck the weather will turn cold and not melt 'til next spring.

Sledgie.......I'm gonna give it up for you......POST OF THE YEAR right there.!!:thumbsup::cool::D:licking::confused2:;):D

However, I am going to go with pry bar.

/ Need Help; Setting Granite Step #9  
Impressive :thumbsup: