What's better than cheap lynch pins?

/ What's better than cheap lynch pins? #1  

Rubintropfen

What\'s better than cheap lynch pins?

I lost a cheap TSC lynch pin from the top link of my snow blower this morning. The blower wound up at a bad angle after the top link pin came out. I shut it down quick, and I haven't checked for PTO shaft damage yet. It was still dark and I had other chores to do.

Anybody got a better idea than the cheap lynch pins? I have lost the expensive ones, too, so I'm not sure those are the answer.

/ What's better than cheap lynch pins? #2  
Re: What\'s better than cheap lynch pins?

if you are having trouble with them getting knocked off, try satety wiring them closed.

/ What's better than cheap lynch pins? #3  

Use a 1/4" bolt with a lock nut. Takes some time to fasten and unfasten it, but it doesn't drop out. I use this technique on all my 3pt pins that are "semi-permanent", as brush in the woods has a habit of catching them and causing them to drop out. That happened with the rotary cutter once, and finding the parts in cut brush and weeds was a trick. A neighbor lost a pin where the 3pt arm attaches to the tractor, and broke the rear housing which cost big bucks. One doesn't have to remove the 3pt arms very often (sometimes never) so lynch pins holding those pins in place don't make sense. But wherever the lynch pins drop out, I would use bolts with lock nuts. This is also where the quick hitch's are mighty handy too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ What's better than cheap lynch pins? #4  

UI use pins that have attatched safety chains. Have even seen a pin with a chain, and a smaller pin to secure the chain.

Soundguy

/ What's better than cheap lynch pins? #5  

Someone in another thread about the same subject some time back mentioned they use cheap key locks. I use a fender washer and wire my lynch pin. Haven't lost one since.

/ What's better than cheap lynch pins? #6  

I know this is not much help but just to let you know ... I had the same problem in the middle of a hay field and a long way from home ... I went to the local JD dealer and they had a Heavy Duty clip .. and they warned me to be careful of the spring tension hurting my fingers if it snaped close on a finger ... they are much stronger than any I have ever seen ... fortunately, I have not seen them any where else since ... they are black in color ... I am going to be back there in about a month and will find the name etc... and then post of course ...

/ What's better than cheap lynch pins? #7  

We bought a new HD 8' Landpride brush hog and it came w/
stamped steel pcs. that are bowl shaped.
They go on before linch pin and wrap around 3 sides of pin
so it would be hard for anything to snag the wire and release it.
I don't know if dealer had them or if came w/ cutter.

/ What's better than cheap lynch pins? #8  

em14
The heavy duty ones we sell in parts are from Tisco, they are the black and silver ones you were talking about. They can sure snap your finger if you aren't careful. Cost is around $.85 apiece.
Lewis

/ What's better than cheap lynch pins? #9  

That sounds like the ones ... they work well! I have not had them fail since I got them many months ago ... they were a good investment ... they really are strong and have out lasted the others by a country mile .. thanks for the info ..
Leo

/ What's better than cheap lynch pins? #10  

I use split rings similar to the kind you would use for keys. I use the biggest ones I can find. I check them often because they are obviously not as strong as a lynch pin. I suppose you could use more than one and that would help on strength. They are tough getting on and off but that is what you want right?