Where to Buy/Install Tires?

/ Where to Buy/Install Tires? #1  

Believer

Silver Member
I need to buy and install a set of tires on a large ag tractor (Deere 6210). Should I go to a dealer, a tire place, buy online, or what? Thanks for any advice.

/ Where to Buy/Install Tires? #2  
I would look in at-least 2 of the 3 options. I would expect that you will get a better selection at a tire place and they would also likely be cheaper than Deere. Compare prices and go for the best one that earns your business.

/ Where to Buy/Install Tires? #3  
If you buy on-line can you mount them? Are they full of fluid?

Guess I would do like JD3720 and look at a couple of local options. Just cause the tractor is green doesn't mean other dealers won't change tires.

Roy

/ Where to Buy/Install Tires? #4  
With my experience with tires you will want to have a tire shop install the tires on the rims, tires that big are not easy to put on or let alone remove from your rims.

/ Where to Buy/Install Tires?
Icm not going to change them myself. I was planning to take the tractor in. I think they have ballast now.

P

/ Where to Buy/Install Tires? #6  
Even though my nearest JD dealer sells tractors at least up through the 5000 series they will not work on tires any larger than small size garden tractors. When I took in my 33 inch tire for service they sent me to a local truck tire service facility that they farm their tire work out to. One that had semi tractors in the service bays. I had the work done there. I could go a little farther out to a full agricultural JD dealer but don't think they work on them either. I more commonly see the large truck tire dealers with their service trucks going to the farms.

/ Where to Buy/Install Tires? #7  
With the old 3020 I had, I asked my dealer for a reference to a company that was fully insured and would sell, deliver and install tractor tires or fix flats and they gave me several to choose from. If your dealer doesn't know of any, check the yellow pages of the nearest large town. Their may be several to choose from depending on what part of the country you are in.

/ Where to Buy/Install Tires? #8  
check out below thread, and the reply i made to it. should help you a good amount.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/wanted-ads/210646-tractor-tires.html

as far as type of tires as in ply ratings. do a search for "r1 r4 turf ply" many threads should come back, with what type of tire to get. granted for large ag tractor it will be r1's for field use. but the ply rating might be of interest.

as far as dealer or buy online, neither. ya need togo tire place, open the old paper phone book, not the internet phone books. and start calling tire places. again see link i posted above, and it should help ya find a few places and narrow things down. if it takes you 1 to 2 hours to call 30 places, then do that one hour. prices can vary from 600 bucks to 1600 bucks for the 555c TLB (tractor loader backhoe) rear tire. (that is a single tire) and it may require to call places up to 1.5 hour drive time away.

and to note it, let the tire place do the installation. and coming out and removing old and putting on new. to me, it really is not a DIY thing.

quick tip, if you do not want the old tires, tell the person that shows up, right off get go. and if they don't have a saw zaw, have one ready, so they can cut the old tires off real quick. vs jacking around trying to save the old tire for like a sand box.

=============
putting fluid in a tire, is more of a DIY thing, than taking off old tire an putting on a new tire. but if there is fluided in the tire, leave it to the guy that comes out. let them deal with the mess and pain of fluid in tire. ((they should have pumps, etc.. to deal with everything))

/ Where to Buy/Install Tires? #9  
the cheapest place for me to buy tires is my local car tire guy.he does not stock any . but he can get them in a couple days.then i install them.i started changing my tires and fixing flats years ago .i learned long ago that i can fix a rear flat on the tractor faster then taking the wheel off.it saves me money and time being able to change my own tires.

/ Where to Buy/Install Tires? #10  
Fluid in a tire is not easy to put in. You have to have the right pump and a barrel of either calcium, washer fluid, antifreeze, methanol, or Rim Guard. I guess if you live in the south, you could put just water in them. Still will need a pump of some kind.

I took the tires off my 3520 and it was much harder than I expected it to be. Ended up beating up the beads, but the dealer still traded for them and put some Michelin Radials on it.

I would find an AG tire dealer and let them put them on. That way, if they mess one up, they get to fix it for free and you are not out a bunch of extra money as well.