Did I put the wrong engine oil in? Please help a newbie

/ Did I put the wrong engine oil in? Please help a newbie #1  

Ken P

Tractor
Kubota B2410
Folks - I'm changing the oil on my kubota B2410 for the first time, and only after I added half the new oil did I notice that on the front of the oil bottle it says "For Gasoline Engines".

I used Carquest brand (it's a house brand) synthetic, 10w30. Being a newbie and obviously not terribly swift, I'd looked in the manual, saw 10W30 recommended, and just bought the same stuff I use for my car, lawnmower, etc.

Are there different 10w30's for diesel? I've looked in my manual again and see that besides the 10W-30, it mentions "API Service Classification CD, CE or CF" The oil I used, on the bottle says "Meets or Exceeds API SM/SL And all Preceeding API Gasoline categories"

So, what do I do? Should I drain the oil again, and if so, should I also replace the filter (which I also just put on)? How different are those other API grades? I still have to add another 1.2 quarts - should I just get one of the other API grades and add it into the oil that I've already put in?

Many thanks -

Ken

/ Did I put the wrong engine oil in? Please help a newbie #2  
You have the wrong oil.
Drain it and change the filter to be safe.

Gas engines use oil rated for a Spark ignition.
Diesel enfines use oil rated for a Compression ignition.
Synthetics are usually rated for both.

I don't think you should have anything to fear once you use the correct oil.

/ Did I put the wrong engine oil in? Please help a newbie #3  
I use a marginal diesel-rated oil in Mobil 1 0w30. I just change it once/year, which is usually short of 100 hours and well short of the 200 hours recommended.

If you're going to a synthetic, I'd get one with a broader vis range. 10w30 isn't much for a synthetic. You should be able to find fully diesel rated ones that are 5w40. I wouldn't used anything that has higher than a "5" in that first rating. Otherwise, why use a synthetic?

Ralph

/ Did I put the wrong engine oil in? Please help a newbie #4  
Yep you sure want to drain it and change the filter. Sucks but best for the engine. There is a 10W30 diesel rated oil available, but it is hard to find. Really no reason not to use 15W40 which has been the diesel standard for decades.

/ Did I put the wrong engine oil in? Please help a newbie #5  
Actually if you don't damage the seal on the filter, why chunk it? Drain it, let it set inverted for a hour or so and reinstall it.Check it while running for a leak as you would always do with a new filter. There is not that much contamination, have you even started the engine? It is not like you poured water into the crankcase?Use diesel certiified motor oil only..

/ Did I put the wrong engine oil in? Please help a newbie
Jonyyuma - No, I haven't started the engine. I didn't even finish filling up the crankcase - it's supposed to take 3.2 quarts, and I had only put in 2 when I had that "Oh, shoot" moment. So you think I could reuse the filter? Or is it not worth trying to save the $10 or so it cost?

I went back to the auto store and got 4 quarts of synthetic 15W-40, Amsoil brand. $10/qt - ouch. They had a nonsynthetic for $4, but at this point I figured I might as well go for the premium stuff.

I'm planning to drain the 10w-30 in the morning, might try to do it cleanly and see if it looks to be worth putting it right back in the bottles.

Thanks for the help, folks.

Ken

/ Did I put the wrong engine oil in? Please help a newbie #7  
Ken, I believe most tractors brands advise changing the oil every 100 hours. Using synthetic, it seems like you could go 200 hours.

/ Did I put the wrong engine oil in? Please help a newbie #9  
You didn't start the engine so the filter will still be empty. No sense in changing it.

/ Did I put the wrong engine oil in? Please help a newbie #10  
You didn't start the engine so the filter will still be empty. No sense in changing it.

Exactly right. There's no reason you can't use the new drained oil in your other equipment either. Other than a time delay and having some extra oil on hand, no harm done.

The diesel rated oil is formulated to have a higher detergent level to better scrub soot from the engine components, among other things.

I use the Kubota 10W30, it's the same price as any other dino oil, and there's no question if it ever comes to a warranty issue.

Sean