Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Rotary Cutter/Tractor Weight Rule of Thumb?

Had a chance to compare Rhino, Woods and Land Pride side by side and bottom to bottom yesterday. Overall strength, in my opinion would be 1. Rhino, 2. Woods, 3. Land Pride. At johndeere.com, you can compare most of the cutters to the Deere LX5. Rhino is the heaviest of the bunch.

Good stuff Glennmac, however I disagree with you on the cutter width rule. "my CUT cutter width rule: a cutter should be the same width as your rear tires. Any smaller and you are wasting the size of your tractor. Any bigger and you won't be able to pull your cutter through openings (eg, trees) that your tractor can get through." My friend and I cut a couple of hundred acres with a 18-20 foot ( not exactly sure how wide but WIDE) batwing woods cutter. However the 5000 Ford we pull it with is not nearly 20' wide , more like 6 ft or so [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    As I said good stuff, however the width of the cutter depends on the size ( HP/weight) of the tractor and the job to be done.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota L3430

5000 Ford? Is that a CUT? I have only stated the Rules of CutCutterdom, but hereby cheerfully accept the little-known Batwing Cutter Exception.

Here is a golden oldie thread discussing the same issue of the proper cutter for a kubota B2910, plus related info.

Apologies, However I still run an 8 ft. cutter on my 45 hp /3900 lb lowboy IH which still qualifies as an older (1968) cut. I run as big of a cutter as the tractor will handle. Mow faster and just dodge the trees [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tractor
    JD 4310 hydro, 4wd

I agree with never going smaller than the width of the tractor but going a size or two larger may result in less time operating your tractor and that not allways a good thing for us non-commercial users. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Bob,
    Most of my cutting is non commercial. By reducing the mowing time I can get to dig in the dirt and do other fun stuff too with my tractors [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123