Chain Gurus--"Transport" chain useage?

/ Chain Gurus--"Transport" chain useage? #1  

bigpete

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4110 HST w/410 Loader and 60
Chain Gurus--\"Transport\" chain useage?

I picked up a new 20' length of 5/16" grade 70 chain with grab hooks for a very good price. There is a tag wired to the set up describing the use of the chains and clevise grab hooks for tie-down or transport. The hooks are also stamped "TRANSPORT70 FORGED USA"

Is this length of chain and hooks safe and appropriate for general application, dragging, pulling, etc. with the 5/16" grab hooks I had welded to my loader loader? The spec for grade 70 chain far exceeds the 700 pound lift capacity of my 210 loader on a 2210. My basic understanding of chain safety includes the premise that the chain and its components should NEVER be the weakest part of a load-bearing assembly.

My insticts tell me that I'm fine with this set up but I have to ask the experts.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments. I posted this in the Safety discussion as well.

/ Chain Gurus--"Transport" chain useage? #2  
Re: Chain Gurus--\"Transport\" chain useage?

Here is a desciption on the chain.

Grade 70 transport chain provides a high weight/strength ratio. Transport chain is also superior for towing and load binding. It is not intended for ovehead lifting.

/ Chain Gurus--"Transport" chain useage? #4  

That chain should fulfill your need with that tractor. Just don't try to jerk some immoveable object. Take all the slack out first before you pull.

/ Chain Gurus--"Transport" chain useage? #5  

As was said, grade 70 chain isn't intended for overhead lifting. Grade 80 is really what you ought to use.

That having been said, I'll admit I use mine for that more often than I should and have never had a problem. In my case I'm never lifting anything particularly heavy (always under 1,000 lbs.) and am careful to make a smooth, even lift rather than jerking the load.

I generally tend to err on the side of being overly cautious but, for whatever reason, using grade 70 chain to pick up my box blade with the FEL or BH to move it around the barn just doesn't concern me.

I'm not recommending anyone else do this. I'm only fessing up to what I really do. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Chain Gurus--"Transport" chain useage? #6  

I would have no hesitation about doing the same thing.

For the chain expert....What is the deal with the "Not for overhead use". Lets say you have a 3/8 grade 43 chain rated at 5400#. What is the problem with lifting say 1200# over your head. Not that I want anything over my head mind you. Do they xray grade 80 chain or something to make sure all the links are ok?

/ Chain Gurus--"Transport" chain useage?

Well, I'll be lifting lots of things but not overhead. That is, I won't be working under the things I am lifting.

The specified "legal" working load on the 5/16" Grade 70 Transport chain is 4,700 pounds. That is considerably higher than the grade 43 that seems to be the most common general use chain and hook grade.

This is an uneducated guess, but I think when the safety clause of grade 80 or better for overhead lifting is mentioned, it applies to such applications as hoist or chain lift work where there is work to be done by humans under the suspended load. I guess I should have phrased that in the form of a question, because it's really an assumption. I think that moving implements around or carrying a stump across the yard would fall outside of the category for overhead lifting.

Corrections are solicted....

/ Chain Gurus--"Transport" chain useage? #8  

I've lifted lots of things, some really heavy, but I have 3/8"
transport chains and 1 3/8x24' grade 80 chain.
If u look at hooks on grade 80 chains they have 'wings' to
spread the side load out against chain links when hooked
into chain.

/ Chain Gurus--"Transport" chain useage? #9  

Real nice web link on chains. Thanks for posting it.

/ Chain Gurus--"Transport" chain useage? #10  

Pete,

That's a good point about the lifting I'm doing not truly being "overhead," but rather just using the chain vertically as opposed to horizontally. I doubt I'd feel quite as comfortable walking underneath the load I'm carrying as I do just lifting it a couple feet to move it around. To be fair, though, I'm not sure I'd feel all that truly comfortable walking under the same load supported by grade 80 chain, either. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif