So dry ... Cut, rake & bale

/ So dry ... Cut, rake & bale #1  

blueriver

Tractor
JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C
I saw a field today just North of Durant with 4 tractors ... 2 with cutters,
1 v-rake right behind the cutters and the baler right behind the rake ... that hay so dry it needed no drying time.

Can't help but wonder the quality ...

/ So dry ... Cut, rake & bale #2  
Seems like most folks cut their hay early, and too short from what I see.

/ So dry ... Cut, rake & bale #3  
Some guys took a nice first cutting in early June here. A month later and there's nothing but brown and dust now, for it hasn't rained since. Second? Third cuttings? Seems doubtful. Something will have to change in the basic weather pattern. Seems only autumn will cause that.

/ So dry ... Cut, rake & bale #4  
One of my co-workers told me their hay was ready to be cut in early June, late May even, but the weather just wasn't conducive to drying hay.

He likes to cut his hay late in the day, then bale the next day. Apparently more nutrients are trapped in the stems that way.

Sean

/ So dry ... Cut, rake & bale #5  
when it gets this hot an dry with no rain sight,you can cut an bale hay the same day.because the grass has no moisture in it what so ever.

/ So dry ... Cut, rake & bale #6  
Can't help but wonder the quality ...

Me too. Is it dead standing? Seems it wouldn't be much better then straw or corn fodder.

Seems like most folks cut their hay early, and too short from what I see.

That would be highly debatable. We cut 1st the last week of May and then every 30-35 days after that. Finished 2nd before Independence Day. An argument could be made that we cut to late.

/ So dry ... Cut, rake & bale #7  
They also will bale the hay right after cutting to make haylage which requires about 30 to 50 percent moisture.

/ So dry ... Cut, rake & bale #8  
They also will bale the hay right after cutting to make haylage which requires about 30 to 50 percent moisture.

I suspect you're right. Highly unlikely that it's dry enough for hay.

/ So dry ... Cut, rake & bale
I suspect you're right. Highly unlikely that it's dry enough for hay.

The baler was right behind the rake that was behind the cutters ... it was being cut, raked and baled as it hit the ground.

I don't know of anyone that makes haylage around here.