Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Long 2360

Default Re: Five or Six Foot?

It looks unanimous. I think you've convinced me. I was leaning that way but the penny pincher in me always tries to ruin things. I think I would regret getting the 5 footer. Thanks for nudging me the right way.

Tractor
    L2800 - HST

No problem... pretty easy spend *your* money

Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

Quote Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
    I'd sure go with 6' if I was cutting 10 acres very often. You will never get close to a fence line or other obstructions with a 5' mower.

MarkV
    I have to go with a 6ft also for the reasons mentioned above. I think you will appreciate the extra foot of cutting width on the 10 acres, and deal with the extra foot cutting trails on the rest of the place. Hey, that would be a good chance to make your trails a foot wider!!
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5 1/2ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

It's not how slow you mow... it's how well you mow slow!!

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M4030SU 1992

I have both an old 5 ft and a new 6 ft. I mow about 40-50 acres and the 6 ft cuts the time needed ALOT. In fact that's why I bought the 6 ft cutter. I would DEFINATELY recc. the 6 ft cutter. As stated above, the only problem with maneuverability is the length not the width plus you can get close to fence rows with the 6 ft whereas you can't with the 5 footer. Just my thoughts.... Belah
    Kubota M4030SU 50hp- FEL- Great Bend 360 with Quick Change Bucket and Hay Spear- Wood's BBX720 6ft Rotary Cutter- Howse 6ft Box Blade- Howse 6ft pick up Disc- Bush Hog brand 5ft Rotary Cutter-Pat's Easy Change Sysem- Winco 25kW PTO Generator- Dodge 3500HD with Cummins Turbo Diesel with Banks Power Pac Super Turbo and Tulsa 14k PTO Winch on Front. And a Bunch of other Stuff, way down here in South Central Louisiana.... NO, THERE ARE NO ALLIGATORS IN MY BACKYARD.

Tractor
    Kubota L3540 w LA514 FEL

I have a similar need of field and trails mowing.
    I seriously consider to buy a 6' flail mower with heavy duty knives.
    Much smaller machine than the rotary cutter.
    I think it would provide better manoeuvrability in tihgt places in the woods.

Tractor
    Kubota M8540HDC, L5740HSTC, BX2200, BX2660, John Deere 425&1025R, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Quebeker View Post
    I have a similar need of field and trails mowing.
    I seriously consider to buy a 6' flail mower with heavy duty knives.
    Much smaller machine than the rotary cutter.
    I think it would provide better maneuverability in tight places in the woods.
    There are a LOT of threads on flail mowers, use your "search" feature and sit back for hours of reading. One of the members that comes to mind you might want to contact is leonz; many are quite knowledgeable, but I think he is the strongest supporter and I have learned a lot from him.

I need to back under and over ditches, bushes, trees etc., so I need the reach afforded by a rotary cutter.
    "An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it." - Jef Mallett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12