Mowing Five or Six Foot?

/ Five or Six Foot? #1  

Archer EV

Bronze Member
Tractor
1989 Long 2360
I am looking to buy a new rotary cutter. I have a Long 2360 tractor with 35hp to the pto. The tractor has a six foot track. I have ten acres to cut and 30 wooded acres with some trails that need mowed. I can't seem to decide whether to buy a 6 foot cutter to match the wheel track or a 5 foot to save money and possibly be a bit more maneuverable in the woods. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Thanks!

/ Five or Six Foot? #2  
Your tractor has the weight and hp to handle the 6' cutter. If me, I'd go ahead and get the bigger mower because I could use a little extra width and no matter how expensive they may seem now, they won't be getting cheaper anytime soon. I don't know exactly how much extra maneuverability you'd really get in the smaller vs. bigger one......in either case it sounds they both will fit between anything the tractor will.

/ Five or Six Foot? #3  
I'd sure go with 6' if I was cutting 10 acres very often. You will never get close to a fence line or other obstructions with a 5' mower.

MarkV

/ Five or Six Foot? #4  
I have a 5' and a 7' for my 52 hp Montana (6' track)

I use the 5' when I need the manouverability, and the 7' when I have to cut the large acerage

If I had to chose 1, I'd take the 7' the ammount of time it saves over the 5' on the larger acerage is significant. I could manouver it in the tighter spots if I had to.

/ Five or Six Foot? #5  
I find the biggest maneuverability problem with a brush hog to be the length rather than the width. I don't know if the length would be much greater with a 6'.
I'd go with the 6' myself.

/ Five or Six Foot? #6  
I would look for a used 6 footer...

/ Five or Six Foot? #7  
i'd for sure go 6' on the cutter with that pto hp and width track.

soundguy

/ Five or Six Foot? #8  
id go with the 6ft shredder,you have the hp to pull it.plus you can get done shredding quicker.

/ Five or Six Foot? #9  
Man code say's go bigger with toys!:thumbsup: As other's have said, you will be able to reduce time cutting with the 6ft. You can always look for a smaller unit used later on since that seems to be the less used one.

/ Five or Six Foot? #10  
i remember when i used to mow 10ac with a 5' mower.. took nearly 5 hours, plus load and unload time...

soundguy