Tires TIRES FOR DAD

/ TIRES FOR DAD #11  
<font color="green"> Envy!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif </font> I really wanted a TC29D, but I got the 1520 with a 4n1 bucket and a couple other implements for about half what the TC29D with FEL would have cost -- and no payments /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

/ TIRES FOR DAD
Yep.

I got no payments for one year also. When I was buying no dealer told me about the 1500's or the 1700's. I didn't know they even existed anymore? I don't see them on New Holland's web page either.

Murph

/ TIRES FOR DAD #13  
Mine was used - 1995 model w/ 700 hours. That's why I got a couple of implements with it. I have put over 150 hrs on it in a little less than a year, with no problems, just a 100 hr service. Paint is a little rough, since the previous owner did not park it under cover, but it runs great and has lots of power for it's size. I am sure your dad will like the 1720 if it is in good shape.

/ TIRES FOR DAD #14  
Just one thing to keep in mind. The idea of using turf tires as 'flotation' to go over the top of the sand, is only good for unencumbered travel without respect to traction/weight/ horsepower. If you are pulling a heavy load, you will find the turfs are going to perform like slicks....

Try an inbetween like an r4 industrial tire... benefits of an ag with a bit less agressive paddles.

I've been in road construction for years... my stepdad has been doing road const. since army eng. core back in nam doing emergency runways, etc.

Not a single peice of heavy equipment ( except rollers ) that we have use has come from the dealer with anything but an r-1 or r-4 style tire... ( paddle tread or industrial tread ).....

4wd is going to help bunches, especially with wieght on the front.

That 1720, if still with stock r-1's is a baby brother to my 1920.. almost exactly the same except size.... My stock r-1's have only gotten me stuck once... and it was a wet lake bed/bod/muck...2' deep... I high centered...

As for that 861... are you running filled tires? any front weight? Also, does the front steering have lots of play? If so, he should be able to adjust it... I think the 8n / naa/ 600/800 series all use a similar style steering gear box with steering adjustments on it to tighten it up.

good luck

Soundguy

/ TIRES FOR DAD
Sound Guy,

He has a loader on the tractor which has made the steering pretty tuff even for a tough guy. If your moving the steering is ok. As far as adjustments, my dad worked on Ford tractors as a mechanic for 25 years and that tractor is in good shape. I always said he could them old Ford's apart and put them back together blind folded.

But with the loader on, the front wheels tend to sink in the sand and then you can't move the steering wheel, and the back ones you just have to be really careful to not allow any spinning or they will dig in also. I think he should try the Ag's and see what happens.

Murph