Heavy Roller

/ Heavy Roller #21  
Don't forget to put a scraper blade against drum too.
Once the asphalt starts to build up it get real thick real fast.

/ Heavy Roller #22  
I have seen when people are pouring driveways etc, they normally try to keep traffic off of them for 2/3 days, but I figured with the drum being 36" dia & no exposed concrete, it would be much slower to dry to the same hardness.

Also, do you think, for the water to keep from sticking, since I only plan on small patches at the moment, I could get away with just wetting the roller down before starting, or what about spraying it with diesel from a hand sprayer?

I would think if someone were spraying water on it while rolling, it would be too much & cool the asphalt too quickly.

/ Heavy Roller #23  
Thanks,
I did plan on trying to put a scraper on, but have not seen one up close, so unless someone has suggestions, I will try to stop & see one on a commerical unit to get ideas of how it should be done. Weight, gravity or spring loaded, sharpness, which side of roller, ETC.

/ Heavy Roller
Neal,

More details please.....what did you use for a form ??

Also, is it a single section ( all one pour ) ??

/ Heavy Roller #25  
Sorry, I did not take pictures of progress, will try to post pictures after done, if people wish to see.
Tank is now setting on its end, waiting for concrete to get hard.
I used a 3' x6' steel tank.
Put about 6 pcs 1/2 rebar through tank, end to end and a few cross pieces of rebar. What I could install through the pour hole that was cut in one end.

Yes, we did it all one pour. I just happened to show up at the concrete plant at the end of the day, when a truck came back in with 3 yards left on it, they had to get rid of, so I helped them out with part of it. My lucky day /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Heavy Roller #26  
If I need more weight, might set extra 55 gal drums of concrete on top.

Rough figures say over 6000#, what are u pulling it w/?
Back in school I remember it takes about 7 days for the crystaline (sp?) structure to be complete in concrete.
So setting closer to a week wouldn't hurt, if u can wait.

/ Heavy Roller #27  
Take a look at the picture I posted of mine, the scraper is a piece of 3x3 angle iron across the top, spring loaded and hinged from the frame. Sharpening a scraper bar is unnecessary, it will sharpen itself over time.

Wetting for asphalt is absolutely necessary, and easy. Put a drip pipe across the top of the roller, 1/16 hole every 4" will provide sufficient water. You don't need to drown the roll, just keep a nice sheen on it.

Sprayine diesel works, but diesel costs more than water, and isn't necessary.

Why driveway contractors want 2-3 days of setup time,
driveways don't have the base roads do, they aren't rolled to the compaction roads are, and, it's a lot easier to convince a homeowner to stay off his driveway for a few days than it is keeping the public off a road for a few hours.

/ Heavy Roller #28  
Hopefully, I will be pulling it with an Kubota L4610 HSTC 4x4.

Thanks for the info, I will try to wait a week before moving it.

I put a folded over piece of 1/2" rebar sticking out the top, going over 1/2 way through the tank, with 90's turned on the ends. I plan on picking it up with this & laying it over on its side when loading to bring it home. Sure would hate to see it come pulling out of the concrete. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Heavy Roller #29  
Thanks,
That looks easy enough & I think I have a piece of 3x3x1/4 angle iron. Also shouldn't be much chore to put the drip pipe across the top also.

/ Heavy Roller #30  
I plan on picking it up with this & laying it over on its side when loading to bring it home.
Do u think the Kubota will lift it?
I hope u aren't loading this in your pick-up truck I'd
also make sure the trailer is well built.