Mowing Next project, brush hogging (I think)?

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #11  
Two words: Roundup

Thank me later.

I agree if was left by the right of way mowers for the power lines there most likely is trash in the area. Knock it back with weed killer next year be able to see what is there.
ken

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #12  
I sure can't beat the advice given so far, I have mowed such areas and keep the FEL bucket pretty low which has saved my tractor and cutter.

I prefer a broad leaf control product like Crossbow so I don't kill the grass. After the die off, you will be able to see the fence better and probably be able to get a bit closer with the tractor. After that, it is going to be manual labor to do it right.

In the end I guess it just depends on what you want it to look like.

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #13  
I second the advice to walk the area first. Considering the damage that might be avoided, you're getting "paid" a $100 an hour to take a hike. Besides, you need the exercise!:laughing:

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #14  
I don't think you need to really walk the line. As others have said keep the bucket low - I usually keep mine at a slight angle upward so that if I do hit something, it rides up. Go very slow, and always keep an eye all around you. Make sure you are prepared for getting swiped by thorns, and running into wasps. Do your first pass on the outside limit from the fence so you don't hit it. Also double check all the pins to make sure they are wired in and you don't get them pulled out. Check for any dangling hoses etc that might be caught on something. Keep in 4 wheel drive, and watch your temps. You might want to clean the screens before each pass. Where outside of DC are you? I'm up in Alexandria, but my place is in SC.

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #15  
Here's one of my favorite tricks, and it doesn't cost a penny....

Wait until the dead of winter to mow.
You have less (maybe no) foliage to contend with. That's a plus.
You have less "critters"/insects to contend with. That's a plus.
Brush has less "life" in it, resulting in easier cutting. That's a plus.
Gives you an excuse to play with the tractor when there isn't much else to do. That's a plus.

After that, you can start off fresh in the spring, no brush in the way, and keep it tended.

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #16  
If I were dealing with this, I would run bucket about 2' to 3' above ground...

I'd suggest keeping the lip of the bucket (lower (down to about 6-8 inchs might be better) no more then 12" off the ground and the bucket in dump about 45 degrees down.

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #17  
Initial cutting like that is much easier in the spring/fall. Before or after the growth season. You'll be able to see much better.

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #18  
Oh this one is easy! Set the mower low and go over it without the mower on. Go slow and with two wheel drive. If the mower hangs on something get out and see what it is. If it goes smooth then go back over it with the PTO and the bush hog runnin'. On thing wrong is that method won't find wires/cables. But as far as something "big" it works. If I have a patch of stuff I've not mown in ages or I'm unsure of I'll just set my MX 6 low and drag it over the area to check it. If it all goes ok I power it up and mow.

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #19  
Make sure you bring some light tools with ya in case your hog gets fouled up with wire or other junk . Most definitely be aware of mean critters that swarm out of the ground . Watch for tractor dippin' to the side . You may be driving into a hole that will roll ya .

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #20  
I second TripleR on the crossbow. I use it to get the brushy stuff killed and leave the grass. To keep the grass under control there will be some point in which you will need to get off the tractor (i hate this part) and get a heavy duty whacker. I know there is a tow-behind (DR I think) Fence mower that operates on a spring mechanism when it hits the posts but unless you have alot of fence the cost would be prohibitive.