Mowing Next project, brush hogging (I think)?

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #1  

Learning to Farm

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3750
Tractor and farm aficionados, I come to you with another question. I have a new project that I am looking to start and not really sure if I am biting off more than I can chew. The back fence line is overgrown with about 6 feet of bramble and briars, there are no saplings that I can see and I'm about 99% sure that there's no trash . I have gates at both ends of fence line that I can get into it and get out of and into . I guess that's a lot of backstory to find out, can I brush hog this? I want to brush hog the outside of the fence for clarification.

The second part of this post is, do I just put the bucket down to push the brush down and go slow (like I have seen in the videos) or are there other tips/ tricks I should know?

Is there something other than brush hogging that I should do?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Attachments

• image-282882631.png
    image-282882631.png
    816.5 KB · Views: 456
  • image-2983174931.png
    image-2983174931.png
    761.9 KB · Views: 409
   / Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #2  
If I were dealing with this, I would run bucket about 2' to 3' above ground and lift cutter slightly higher than finish cut to make sure there wasn't anything overlooked that I didn't want to hit. If lower cut desired, I would make a second pass. Once I knew the area and knew no suprises were present I would start with the desired cut height on the first pass and go as slow as needed to not bog the tractor or cutter.

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #3  
This is exactly what a brush hog is supposed to do. Now...I would do it in two passes (high then low) for a couple of reasons. First because it will help you see more clearly when your mower is low as deere 5105 mentioned. Secondly because it will keep the brambles from wrapping up under your hog and you having to clean them out..ughh. Now personally I would put the bucket a bit lower...thats just a personal preference.

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #4  
I would run with the loader bucket about a foot off the ground. This will act as a 'feeler' to find any stumps, rocks, etc that you don't know about before they tear out the underside of the tractor. Also, when pushing stuff over like that never back up, you will force brush and sticks up under the tractor which can also wreak havoc. Keep the bush hog about 6" off the ground, but go as slow as you can, with one hand on the 3pt hitch lever to quickly raise the bush hog if you get into something. Good luck with your project, this is the type of work bush hogs are made for, but you still have to be pretty careful.

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #5  
Never underestimate what could be hidden in tall thickens like this, although looking closely to the picture it looks like this area is only about 20ft wide stretched the distance of the fence line, you can simply cut half path wide at a time, leaving half of the tractor and cutter in the clear, should provide you with some visual of what is in there as you make your passes, chances are the power lines right-of-way maintenance crews have cut this before but each time have not got as close to the fence as the time before resulting in such an overgrowth,
as already mentioned bucket low and cutter raised just a bit should get the job done:thumbsup:,

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #6  
Good advise IMO given before me.Make sure also if your out there alone you have cell phone with you.Also if when bushhoggin and if your tractor has a fel lock in place feature on it "do not" have lock on in case you run into a dip on the land and so your fel bucket does not hit ground.In high places that have not been tended to in a while I like to run my tractor in 4wd if you have that option.
At least in certain tough spots on first cut.
Boone

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)?
Every single time I ask a question, you guys are AWESOME!!!

I know that under the lines people have dumped :( The big power-line machines went through last year and we thought it was going to be a good place to hack. I saw tires with rims, busted furniture, and other stuff that they had mowed over, I have not seen what they mow with but I guess it is really tough. So I was not planning on doing more than two tractor widths (about 12 feet) however I may just try it.

Next question, once I get the brush from the other side what is the best way to get it off the fence? I am guessing there will be 6 inches to a foot that the tractor can not get to, that is the fence line.

Thanks again!

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #8  
Two words: Roundup

Thank me later.

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #9  
Let me guess the next project AFTER you finish with that bush hogging..... whitewashing the fence??? :laughing: :D That be a lotta fence!

/ Next project, brush hogging (I think)? #10  
Let me guess the next project AFTER you finish with that bush hogging..... whitewashing the fence??? :laughing: :D That be a lotta fence!

Tell Kebo you'll let him help if he gives you that apple.

Great advice so far. I'd try to walk the area if that's possible before getting the machine in there. Even if you have to hack a bit with a machette. You get a much better understanding of the conditions from the ground than from the seat. Things to watch out for are rocks, stumps, car parts (I found an engine block) and any abrupt changes in the surface - like drainage ditches - that can cause excitement when one wheel drops in. Granny gear first pass like Verticaltrx says; half swath like deepNdirt suggests will help avoid surprises.